Railroad Forums 

• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1625840  by bk77

Hello everyone. I'll be vacationing on the Champlain Islands this week and looking to do my usual visit to St. Albans at some point. From what I understand the CN usually comes down to St. Albans late morning and heads back north early afternoon (I was lucky enough to catch them heading north around early afternoon last year). Is this still the case, and is it daily or only on select days?

I also read on the VRS FB page that the NECR also got hit with some washouts with that recent storm. Any news on that and if it's affecting traffic south of St. Albans?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in Advance!
---Bill
 #1625854  by NHV 669

It's still 2 or 3 days a week, times have changed a bit due to work on the south end of the line to Palmer (pre-flooding).

Traffic has been moves around WRJ to serve local customers, the line was basically shut down north of there/Roxbury. 323 (from Thursday) and 324 out of SAB today are meeting this afternoon/evening at Roxbury, so it sounds like the line is back open.
 #1625983  by bk77

NHV 669 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:45 pm It's still 2 or 3 days a week, times have changed a bit due to work on the south end of the line to Palmer (pre-flooding).

Traffic has been moves around WRJ to serve local customers, the line was basically shut down north of there/Roxbury. 323 (from Thursday) and 324 out of SAB today are meeting this afternoon/evening at Roxbury, so it sounds like the line is back open.
Sounds good. I plan to head out to do my railfanning tomorrow as the weather is looking pretty good. Thanks for the info!
 #1626524  by Allouette

Some tie replacement underway on the NECR south of White River Jct. Tie bundles dropped over the last couple of weeks have had their contents distributed. The Vermonter is running as a bus north of New Haven until Monday 7/31 to allow for this work and work by Amtrak on its New Haven Line.
 #1628067  by hrsn

Currently enjoying class 1 speeds south of WRJ on today's Vermonter. Even on new ties. It's going to be a long trip...
 #1633494  by johnpbarlow

Essay question: what prevents G&W from combining the P&W, CSOR, and NECR RRs into one operating railroad entity given they each connect to each other? I'm guessing that each individual RR has separate labor agreements for its union employees but it that in and of itself shouldn't preclude a "merger". Are there formal operating agreements in place with the RRs from which these three entities originated that preclude them from combining and running interline operations?

And, if P&W+CSOR+NECR were to become a single RR, the same question applies to BERX, the operator of PAS lines. Seems to me there could be efficiencies by exploiting a decent sized network in southern New England.
 #1633528  by S1f3432

If G&W wanted to merge the separate railroads it would have to get permission from
the STB; it would be simpler to just coordinate operations between the different properties.
There are already restrictions in place regarding what it can do with B&E in conjunction
with NECR, P&W, et al.
 #1633554  by RandallW

Note that G&W also has incentives to keep railroads below a certain revenue threshold as regulatory reporting requirements increase as total revenues exceed certain amounts (I forget what the actual thresholds are).