• New Amtrak Catenary Geometry Car?!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

DutchRailnut wrote:even if it were, are locomotive hauled consist not restricted to 110 mph ?
What? You mean diesel hauled? Are not AEM-7's, HHP-8's, and ACS-64's locomotives?
  by ThirdRail7

Sooooooooo, does anyone have a picture of the 10005 Catenary Geometry car, which was actually the subject of this thread?
  by jhdeasy

gregorygrice wrote:Car is in CHI now and looks great. Photo by Gary Michael Hunter.
When I look at this photo of Amtrak 10004, a few things come to mind:

(1) This is a good reutilization of a sound Budd built Viewliner that has been sitting idle for many years.

(2) I wonder if this car's trucks and major systems (such as HVAC, toilets, etc.) were upgraded from the original equipment to what is used in either new Viewliner II cars or existing Viewliner I cars?

(3) Where are the collision posts at this end of the car? Collision posts are an AAR & FRA requirement, and Amtrak's SMP 28603 mandates that all privately owned cars and railroad owned business cars moving in Amtrak trains have adequate collision posts at both ends of the car. Maybe Amtrak decided certain rules which they zealously enforce on others do not apply to their own 10004.
  by ThirdRail7

jhdeasy wrote:
(3) Where are the collision posts at this end of the car? Collision posts are an AAR & FRA requirement, and Amtrak's SMP 28603 mandates that all privately owned cars and railroad owned business cars moving in Amtrak trains have adequate collision posts at both ends of the car. Maybe Amtrak decided certain rules which they zealously enforce on others do not apply to their own 10004.
Interesting point. Perhaps they are more concerned with crushed passengers than crushed employees. One thing is certain: If something was approaching this car from the rear, you'd certainly know about it!
  by Greg Moore

jhdeasy wrote: (1) This is a good reutilization of a sound Budd built Viewliner that has been sitting idle for many years.
Wasn't this Viewliner built in-house?
  by DutchRailnut

converted prototype Viewliner, shell was build at Budd, in red lions plant in Philly.
the production cars were build by MK in Hornell which is now Alstom plant.
Collision post are only required at forward facing Cab car or locomotive.
  by acelaphillies

I came up with this info presumably about the 10005:

Allow a brief fair-use quote:
USA – MERMEC Inc. will supply AMTRAK with a non-contact Measuring and Inspection System conceived to check main Catenary parameters such as Wire Height, Stagger and Wear and a video surveillance system to detect any critical defects of the overhead line structures.

AMTRAK aims to replace its old Catenary inspection system with a state of the art automated solution able to monitor the Catenary on the high speed Northeast Corridor. The system will be installed on a dedicated coach to measure the Catenary on a daily basis in order to increase network safety and availability.
http://www.mermecgroup.com/news-e-event ... amtrak.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

So the 10005 is probably not even done yet.
  by ThirdRail7

The 10004 is doing its impersonation of Mr Smith this week. IF you get the reference, see you there on Thursday. :wink:

PS: I won't actually see you there.
  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote:The 10004 is doing its impersonation of Mr Smith this week. IF you get the reference, see you there on Thursday. :wink:

Oh, I will be visiting Mr. Smith's work town Thursday around 8:00 PM. Hmm
  by ApproachMedium

ThirdRail7 wrote:The 10004 is doing its impersonation of Mr Smith this week. IF you get the reference, see you there on Thursday. :wink:

Ha ha ha. lol
  by ThirdRail7

Greg Moore wrote:

That may be a little late. You can poke your nose around 30tk or 20tk and see if it is still in the station.
  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:

That may be a little late. You can poke your nose around 30tk or 20tk and see if it is still in the station.
Gracias.
  by chuchubob

acelaphillies wrote:A year ago on NTD I started this topic. Have there been any new developments associated with the 10004 within the last year? How is the new car coming along?
Posted in the National Train Day 2014 thread:
chuchubob wrote:10004 Theater car was open for inspection.