• New Amtrak Catenary Geometry Car?!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:There are two cars here, there is a 10004 and a 10005. One is a viewliner and one is something else. Supposedly the viewliner one was spotted in DC a few weeks ago but of course nobody has any photos.
10004 is not in DC at the moment. It is in Beech Grove and is supposed to go out on a test run very soon...hence my post.
  by ApproachMedium

Ah ok. Yea I figured it was a rumor or they saw a different car. You know people who dont know anything about trains and what they think they see vs what they really saw lol.

And sorry didnt catch the hint of your post right away...
  by R30A

2300 went west on the Cardinal a few months back. Had a FRED on its coupler as the markers were out.
  by gregorygrice

Car is in CHI now and looks great. Photo by Gary Michael Hunter.
  by Matt Johnson

Whoa, that's interesting!
  by gregorygrice

jackintosh11 wrote:Any more pictures?
Two more. NOT TAKEN BY ME
  by Greg Moore

gregorygrice wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Any more pictures?
Two more. NOT TAKEN BY ME

Nice.

And interesting the car has a name in-line with the original "view" naming scheme.
  by DutchRailnut

to observe the right of way, no its not cab car, it would not have required strength.
it has also no windshield wipers or top headlight.
  by acelaphillies

Wow, cool. Thanks for sharing!

We don't have to speculate what is inside this car! That is one big window. I wonder if it will ever come to the NEC, or if it is for inspecting LD routes.
  by ExCon90

jackintosh11 wrote:Interesting that there are curtains. Is that standard? And why is the window so large? Does it work as a cab car?
To expand on Dutch's post, if you look at the seating inside, you'll see rows of seats facing rearwards, each row a little higher than the one in front of it, theater style, so that a fairly large group can get an equally good view. They're commonly known as theater cars, and I think every Class I railroad has one, and some others as well.
  by bmichel5581

Is it still rated for 110mph? Or is it now good for 125mph?
  by DutchRailnut

even if it were, are locomotive hauled consist not restricted to 110 mph ?
  by ApproachMedium

For now its in the books for 110. Consists hauled by current diesels are 110, but the electrics are 125. The horizon cars are good for 125. Only single level cars currently limited to 110 are the heritage cars and the viewliners. Once the new stuff is in and the heritage cars are gone the viewliner speeds should change.