Railroad Forums 

• Mystery ROW in Western Mass

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#874959  by jfloehr

In 1976, while perusing railroad materials in the local history section of Berkshire Athenaeum in Pittsfield, MA I recall reading an interesting college research paper about the Huckleberry Line. It was written in the early 1970's. The report including ROW maps.
 #875253  by Ridgefielder

trainsinmaine wrote:One wonders how successful this line would have been had it been completed. It would have provided a ready link (via the B&A, assuming it would have gotten trackage rights) between upstate New York and Hartford/New Haven. The NH kinda-sorta had that with its Canal Line extension from South Deerfield to Buckland where it met the Troy & Boston (B&M), but that never saw a great deal of business. This would have been more direct.
The utility of the line to the New Haven depends on the time period we're talking about. In the 1870's it might have been useful; after 1893, when the New Haven got control of the Housatonic (and its New Haven & Derby connection from Hawleyville to New Haven) it would have been duplicative of the State Line-Van Deusenville-Hawleyville-Derby route: which incidentally has much lower grades compared to any line over the spine of the Berkshire/Litchfield Hills, built or projected. I suppose it might have been of some use to the Boston & Albany had they wanted to invade the New Haven's home turf for some reason, but that's about it...
 #876657  by trainsinmaine

There was, and still is, a quarry on the north side of the line in Blandford, and it has been in existence for many years. (Can't remember the name of the family that owns it.) I think it is primarily a crushed rock business.

If I recall correctly, the circa-1915 document that the New Haven published regarding the establishment of the line indicated that they planned to haul some freight on it. I don't know whether that ever happened during its brief existence.

None of this, of course, should be confused with the quarries on Chester & Becket branch of the B&A.

BTW: How navigable is the C&B roadbed, by foot, four-wheeler or car? Is there anything of interest left to see out there?