Railroad Forums 

• Multi-Level Cars—Delivery/Status

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#162657  by 7 Train

First bi-level car delivered
It's on the NJ Transit home page with a photo:
NJ TRANSIT's first bi-level rail car has been delivered! The car will be unveiled at a public ceremony in September. Stay tuned to this site for details!

#162696  by Nasadowsk

Dang that looks UGLY

#162704  by E-44

Looks like a pregnant C5. Maybe they should have called it the C5.5?

#162708  by BigDell

I'm sorry, I'm sure its been mentioned before, but who built these things?
Just curious who the manufacturer is....

BigDell

#162709  by BigDell

Okay, found it - Bombardier.

Hard to see what they really look like. Curious to see them painted and in person....

#162732  by nick11a

Bombardier built them but the design is based off of the Comet Vs- Alstom. But I'm hopeful they'll be much more reliable than the Vs being that Bombardier built them.

And while yes, I do agree, the picture isn't very flattering, I'm gonna hold on passing judgement.

And also, judging by the photo, this is the first Comet/Shorliner/Pullman based design car ever that doesn't have the "curved" doors. The doors are flat.

#162753  by Olton Hall

nick11a wrote:Bombardier built them but the design is based off of the Comet Vs- Alstom. But I'm hopeful they'll be much more reliable than the Vs being that Bombardier built them.

And while yes, I do agree, the picture isn't very flattering, I'm gonna hold on passing judgement.

And also, judging by the photo, this is the first Comet/Shorliner/Pullman based design car ever that doesn't have the "curved" doors. The doors are flat.
Did Bombardier use the same suppliers as Alstom? If they use the same bad suppliers, that would indicate simular problems.

Not having the curved door and based on the photo also, these cars are a overall a little narrower than the rest of the fleet. Same loading gage but the interior will be a few inches less wide which won't be an issue as they have 2+2 seating and people won't notice the lose of room.

#162763  by nick11a

Olton Hall wrote:Did Bombardier use the same suppliers as Alstom? If they use the same bad suppliers, that would indicate simular problems.

Not having the curved door and based on the photo also, these cars are a overall a little narrower than the rest of the fleet. Same loading gage but the interior will be a few inches less wide which won't be an issue as they have 2+2 seating and people won't notice the lose of room.
I hope not.

And the lack of "curves" makes the cars seem more unnatractive to me. I miss the curves.

#162764  by sixty-six

i dont know, i kind of like it...

yet again, along with the C5s, i like everything you all hate :-D

#162766  by nick11a

I like the DESIGN and the LOOK of the Comet Vs. I just hate the execution of them.

#162773  by 4 Express

jimzim66 wrote:i dont know, i kind of like it...

yet again, along with the C5s, i like everything you all hate :-D
That's the same case with me then.

#162805  by sixty-six

ok nick, ill give you that one, ha. i do hate how theyre having all the problems and prove unreliable at times.

#162853  by njt5140

Wow, it's a Comet V on steroids! Let's hope they turn out nothing like the V's with their hundreds of problems!