Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#738808  by truck6018

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is this really a railroad issue, folks?
Um, yeah. Since it has to do with the MTA / Metro-North Railroad, the answer is self explanatory.

Back to the topic at hand....

If the money was acquired through Homeland I think it may be worth investing into, but only as a training facility, NOT as a kennel as the article eludes to. One quote in the article is :
Currently, their officers are their caretakers.

I think the officers should be their caretakers as is the case of all K9 and their handlers (that I'm aware of). Further more the K9's double as family pets when they are "off duty" further developing the bond between handler and K9. To take them away from the handlers would be criminal.
 #738905  by kitn1mcc

with most police and fire training locations this day in age it is probally going to be used by multi agency and probally more than just police also it will make for a good location to train FD along the line as well
 #738946  by Ridgefielder

Noel Weaver wrote: Stormville is 17 miles from Beacon and 20 miles from Brewster. This is from an old NHRR employee timetable. You might be able to knock off one mile on the Brewster end but it is still closer to Beacon although not by very much. Noel Weaver
OK, I see it on the map. Actually on the Maybrook as opposed to the old branch to Beacon. Are the tracks in better shape east to Brewster or west to Beacon, or is it pretty much even?

Anyone have any idea what the facility is going to physically consist of? They going to be bringing building materials in by rail?
 #739198  by AEGUY63

Tracks are in better shape from Southeast to Stormville, the bridge just needs work. I'm sure the freight will arrive by rail since it's cheaper for Metro-North to haul it themselves as opposed to having a company move the supplies.
 #739208  by Dieter

Is the property flat or hilly? Perhaps someone is thinking ahead to the use of the land as a layover yard if passenger service were to resume over the line. No need for a yard now, but the property became available, it's a good investment regardless. MTA gets to use the land for dog training, and it can be converted for a variety of other railroad related uses down the road, since it's trackside. It's a brilliant move for the future of a potentially expanding railroad. As land becomes more expensive with each passing year, who knows? It may be the future site of a large maintenance facility in another 40 years. Once condos go up on the land, that's it.

D/
 #1302537  by Maybrook fan

Just putting this out there in case anyone wants to chase. There is supposedly a move planned anytime now for some cars to be brought from the Hudson Line to a new training center in the Stormville area. If anyone chases I'd love to see your pictures.
 #1302795  by republic

Yes, this was done yesterday. Traffic was stopped at the grade crossing on Rt 9 in Fishkill to let it pass. Sorry, no pics.
 #1302814  by runningwithscalpels

Apparently there was another move today. Pictures are on "Unofficial Metro North" FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 851&type=1
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2085810 ... 048093851/

It's a public group, so if you have a Facebook account you ought to be fine viewing those links.
 #1302842  by Backshophoss

Well at least 1 M6(?)has been saved from the torch for now,for MNR PD's training center.
Will they build a spur for it? or let it sit on the oos Main track?
 #1302879  by glennk419

I guess the Hopewell Station Society is happy that the station got to see at least two more passenger moves, well, sort of. :wink:

Has there ever been any discussion of running a tourist train along this line?
 #1302881  by DutchRailnut

yeah from about 400 yards away from closest rail.
 #1302883  by glennk419

DutchRailnut wrote:yeah from about 400 yards away from closest rail.
Or 400 feet +/-. :-)
 #1303098  by DutchRailnut

Construction continues on East Fishkill MTA K-9 training facility

EAST FISHKILL – Work is progressing on the $7 million MTA Police K-9 training center in East Fishkill.

The project, which has been in the planning for some four years, is moving forward, according to Timothy McCarthy, the senior director of capital programs for the Metro-North Railroad.

“We are going to have a first-rate facility for the police; we will have some rail cars up there for them to use as training as well buses, and that’s going along well and that is a great cooperative effort with the MTA Police,” McCarthy said.

The property, which is adjacent to Green Haven Correctional Facility, will also include a communications tower, shooting range and parking fields.