Railroad Forums 

• MTA New York Buses radio system

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1592462  by WDGP38

Does anyone know what radio system is being used by the MTA buses in New york?

I live about a half hour away from NYC and i am able to pick up a 900mhz Motorola Type 2 radio system that seems to be used by the MTA buses
There is also a 800mhz radio system listed in a radio database that is allegedly used for the buses but i do not receive any activity on that system
So im not sure if either the 800mhz system is abandoned or if the 900mhz system is a patch of the 800mhz system and i am just out of range for the 800mhz

Any info on this is appreciated
 #1594358  by WDGP38

krispy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:34 pm They use Motorola Type II SmartZone at 900 MHz. They did have a system at 800 MHz in the early 2000's but not sure when they switched, you may try the forum at https://www.radioreference.com/
Thank you - it does seem like they either abandoned the 800 or just switched to the 900mhz freqs
The system is actually licensed under Motorola WNJX248

Im also aware that they are in the process of possibly switching to a Tetra system

Thanks again for the reply