Railroad Forums 

• Middletown & New Jersey Railroad: News, Operations, Updates

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#855237  by northjerseybuff

Well, NS currently dispatches the line and i'm assuming this will be a responsibility of the M&NJ..Do they have dispatching facilities in place?
 #855327  by chuxter26

The M&NJ responded to the UTU today on the STB website......................interesting reading.
 #855415  by Otto Vondrak

northjerseybuff wrote:Well, NS currently dispatches the line and i'm assuming this will be a responsibility of the M&NJ..Do they have dispatching facilities in place?
The timetable and rulebook govern movements, and if there is a need to enter NS property, the NS dispatcher will handle the movement.
 #855420  by SecaucusJunction

I don't even think NS retained trackage rights over the lines... not that there is any reason for them to do so. I'd guess maybe someone from East Penn will dispatch the lines... I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard of a job.
 #855424  by northjerseybuff

Next question then concerning the take over
What will they use for power? I am guessing more motive power will be needed for larger operations. Any guesses? like I said..lets see how all this plays out
 #855425  by northjerseybuff

The timetable and rulebook govern movements, and if there is a need to enter NS property, the NS dispatcher will handle the movement.
OK..So like the CNY-They are being dispatched by the NYSW? Correct? even though it is NS trackage. Since the Hudson Secondary will be leased to the M&NJ..Will they dispatch?
 #855431  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:Next question then concerning the take over
What will they use for power? I am guessing more motive power will be needed for larger operations. Any guesses? like I said..lets see how all this plays out

They are going to use the U34..haha J/k, i wish! :P
 #855437  by SecaucusJunction

This whole thing looks like an East Penn takeover using the M&NJ as a close office to get STB approval. So, yes, East Penn will probably be sending up the power.
 #855473  by Otto Vondrak

northjerseybuff wrote:
OK..So like the CNY-They are being dispatched by the NYSW? Correct? even though it is NS trackage. Since the Hudson Secondary will be leased to the M&NJ..Will they dispatch?
SecaucusJunction wrote:I don't even think NS retained trackage rights over the lines... not that there is any reason for them to do so. I'd guess maybe someone from East Penn will dispatch the lines... I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard of a job.
"Dispatching" can be as little as giving a train track authority in the morning and taking away that authority when the crew ties up in the evening. Depending what system of rules you subscribe to, it doesn't require a person to literally sit in an office in front of a control panel in order for there to be safe train movements.
 #855527  by Steve F45

SecaucusJunction wrote:This whole thing looks like an East Penn takeover using the M&NJ as a close office to get STB approval. So, yes, East Penn will probably be sending up the power.

Maybe the 3 former NYSW GP18's will be sent up there for the work. :-D
 #855619  by nysw3636

I think the more interesting aspect of todays posting on the STB site of this topic is, and I quote..

" In conjunction with the lease of the NSR rail lines, M&NJ will also sublease connecting track owned by the New York , Susquehanna & Western Railway (NYS&W) and receive incidental trackage rights."

The M&NJ is getting trackage rights on the CNY??
 #855736  by njmidland

The NYS&W owns the track that connects the L&HR to the Erie - East Hall. They built this in the late 1980's to avoid going into Maybrook and doing a runaround move.
 #855750  by chuxter26

Just arrived at Croxton....ESPN 5114 and 7811.....I would think they go on tonights H07......The plot thickens!!
 #855755  by chuxter26

Update....STB has imposed a stay until October 7th for further consideration of the transaction