Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1618500  by Bracdude181

Look! A poor photo of JR-08 at that one road that no one really goes to!Image
oh my god I was up seeing this thing at 1 am in freezing temperatures what is wrong with me send help pls
 #1618509  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:21 am oh my god I was up seeing this thing at 1 am in freezing temperatures what is wrong with me
Where would you like me to begin.

To answer your question of why not RC? Everyone working there has either flunked out or been fired from reputable carriers. Their engines are junkers that're bought from a railroad junkyard. The RC tried to get all of the Metuchen work years ago and they failed. RC can't afford to operate on the corridor.
 #1618730  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:Look! A poor photo of JR-08 at that one road that no one really goes to!Image
oh my god I was up seeing this thing at 1 am in freezing temperatures what is wrong with me send help pls
High St.
 #1618742  by PennRail42

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 am Forgot the name.

What happened with the fire yesterday? A couple media outlets said a Conrail train started it?
According to Conrail, the 13-car train was being pulled by a diesel locomotive (not using the overhead catenary system that powers Amtrak and NJ Transit trains on the Northeast Corridor line). The car immediately behind the locomotive caught what the company called a "hot carbon spark" from the exhaust stack and the spark triggered the Edison fire. - From NBC New York.

Other fire looks to be the cause of some kids in the ravine lighting stuff on fire. That one took the old train bridge.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/b ... d/4175136/
 #1618743  by Bracdude181

Exhaust sparks? Are they EVER gonna give ME-2 an engine that doesn’t have problems? Lol.

Shame the old bridge was destroyed.

Edit: I’ve been hearing that Conrail is in hot water over this whole thing…
 #1618755  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:48 am Exhaust sparks? Are they EVER gonna give ME-2 an engine that doesn’t have problems? Lol.

Shame the old bridge was destroyed.

Edit: I’ve been hearing that Conrail is in hot water over this whole thing…
News flash, all engines throw sparks from the stacks. New ones too. Your beloved Raritan engines are constantly setting the area on fire. When we used to interchange down at the lower yard there were times we couldn't get down their cause their engines started fires all over and the place was burning.
 #1618784  by JohnFromJersey

PennRail42 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:46 am Other fire looks to be the cause of some kids in the ravine lighting stuff on fire. That one took the old train bridge.

A shame that the bridge was lost to arson. Highly likely that bridge was gonna fall in on itself at some point though
 #1619194  by OportRailfan

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:08 pm
PennRail42 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:46 am Other fire looks to be the cause of some kids in the ravine lighting stuff on fire. That one took the old train bridge.

A shame that the bridge was lost to arson. Highly likely that bridge was gonna fall in on itself at some point though
They razed the Matawan bridge yesterday.