Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#616841  by RearOfSignal

The majority of that article dealt with CDOT, not MNR. Metro-North service ends at New Haven. While it's possible that a increased service on the proposed lines could send trains into MNR territory there would be no major construction on MNR territory. They also mentioned service into Long Island, New Jersey and of course NYP as opposed to Grand Central Station(I don't know why they would want to roll trains into a post office anyway), but not sure how much say CDOT would have in the affairs of New York State and New York City, the MTA and Amtrak as far as service into NYP.
 #618614  by BiggAW

Ok, I just have to post now. My wish list is triple track to Old Saybrook and a trainload of new interlockings, with double sided platforms in Branford, Madison, Clinton and Westbrook, with the New Haven Line trains all running straight to Old Saybrook and stopping at each of these stations. I'm being a little selfish, but it would be very convenient to go to New York with a train rolling through town every 20-30 minutes that goes right to GCT and visa-versa. :D Yeah, it would require some MNCR/ Amtrak re-alignment, but whatever. Of course, it would require the new M-8's, and would actually make me approve of spending so much $$ on them, as they would need 25kV and ACSES capability to get to OSB.
 #618907  by Otto Vondrak

Awesome wish list. Currently there are no projects planned, and of course, this government money is pure fiction. Let's see what happens after Jan. 20.
 #618915  by Jeff Smith

I think the M-2's are shovel ready; their clearance plus six feet. :P :P :wink:

Or we could build the Polar Express. Here, let me punch "BELIEVE" into your seat check....... (nod and homage to RearOfSignal) :-D

I've hit the millennium: post 1000!
 #618937  by RearOfSignal

Sarge wrote:I think the M-2's are shovel ready; their clearance plus six feet. :P :P :wink:

Or we could build the Polar Express. Here, let me punch "BELIEVE" into your seat check....... (nod and homage to RearOfSignal) :-D

I've hit the millennium: post 1000!
:-D :-D

When I hit 1000 I'm throwin a party, everyone is invited. :-D
 #619114  by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:No one threw me a party when I hit 10,000 :(
Otto, that reminds me of the legend of the surprise birthday party where the organizers forget to invite the guest-of-honor..........

I believe I speak for foamers and railroaders alike when we say we appreciate all 12,529 or so of your posts!

Rear, let's make the party at the Getty Square Station. What? It's gone? Dagnab it. :(

Now back to our regularly scheduled foam.....er......programming:

Mid-Hudson had an article (search: Google for Metro-North Railroad news, sorry, posting on mobile, no link) where Chuckie Schumer was holding a press conference at White Plains station, claiming stimulus could be used by MNRR for more rail vehicles, double-tracking of Port Jervis, and some Hudson line station improvements. Otto, maybe you could send Chuck the schematics for the Westchester Northern? :wink:

1002: the millennium's over, time for bed.
 #619862  by Herring

Sarge wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:No one threw me a party when I hit 10,000 :(
Otto, that reminds me of the legend of the surprise birthday party where the organizers forget to invite the guest-of-honor..........

I believe I speak for foamers and railroaders alike when we say we appreciate all 12,529 or so of your posts!

Rear, let's make the party at the Getty Square Station. What? It's gone? Dagnab it. :(

Now back to our regularly scheduled foam.....er......programming:

Mid-Hudson had an article (search: Google for Metro-North Railroad news, sorry, posting on mobile, no link) where Chuckie Schumer was holding a press conference at White Plains station, claiming stimulus could be used by MNRR for more rail vehicles, double-tracking of Port Jervis, and some Hudson line station improvements. Otto, maybe you could send Chuck the schematics for the Westchester Northern? :wink:

1002: the millennium's over, time for bed.
Obama economic stimulus package could mean millions to upgrade Metro-North, says Schumer, Hall

"WHITE PLAINS – President-Elect Obama’s economic stimulus plan could means millions to help bail out the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and its Metro-North Railroad service in Westchester and the Lower Hudson Valley, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Congressman John Hall said Tuesday."
 #619998  by RearOfSignal

If, if, if, if Metro-North ever receives a dime from the federal government it won't manifest itself in a cross-Westchester rail line or some other railroad fantasy.
www.MidHusonNews.com wrote:"Other benefits of the stimulus bill would be station improvements at Tarrytown, Croton-Harmon and Peekskill stations; power and substation improvements on Harlem and Hudson lines to increase the reliability of service"
The federal grants that the President Elect plans to give out are not meant to improve transportation in the U.S. it's to stimulate the economy by creating jobs. That's why station, power and substation improvements etc. are referred to as "Other benefits". As said before this is for shovel-ready projects. The station improvement initiative for the remaining Hudson stations, the nearly complete Yankee Stadium project is about all that's shovel-ready on Metro-North Railroad EOH. Can anybody think of anything else?
 #620286  by Ridgefielder

I'll second the vote for the Westchester Northern! Would be great to walk over to Main St. Station to catch the train in winter, instead of sliding sideways down Branchville Road in the snow... :wink: Seriously, though, I'm sure there must be some more shovel-ready infrastructure projects on the New Haven line: bridges, catenary, etc.
 #620442  by BiggAW

Herring wrote: ...service in Westchester and the Lower Hudson Valley...
New Haven Line's not getting any love. :cry:

I'll second Ridgefielder's thoughts on the New Haven Line.

On the wacky side, a Polar express would be neat with the proper Pere Marquette locomotive! How about some re-creations of the I-5 Hudsons for Amtrak from New Haven to Boston?
 #620676  by BiggAW

OOOO! I have an even better one: Restoration of the New Haven Air Line. :D Not sure what it would be used for, but it would be cool!
 #620681  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:On the wacky side, a Polar express would be neat with the proper Pere Marquette locomotive! How about some re-creations of the I-5 Hudsons for Amtrak from New Haven to Boston?
BiggAW wrote:OOOO! I have an even better one: Restoration of the New Haven Air Line. :D Not sure what it would be used for, but it would be cool!
How about we stop with the outrageous fantasies. If you're not going to take this thread/forum seriously, perhaps this is not the right place for you.

-otto-
 #620816  by BiggAW

Herring wrote:
Sarge wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote: Groups Seek to Fast Track Commuter Rail Project
That's a great link. I just read through it, and it answers a lot of questions about the possible Springfield line commuter service.

The State Rep who wants through service to Penn and LI though... that seems a little pie-in-the-sky. I think lining it up with MNCR the way SLE is would be a great start. A Bradley connection would be great though.

I read part of the executive summary of the State report on it (linked from the article). The only two things that really jumped out at me were:
1. Grade-separated pedestrian crossings. In stations like Wallinford, the town is quite dense in the railroad area, and lots of people walk or drive across the tracks, so this doesn't seem realiistic. I am guessing, however, that it would cost less $$ than the SLE stations, as there is no catenary to avoid/ build around/ go over.
2. The lowest cost implementation alternative, while it would be a good start with no new construction, only runs one direction. People in Wallingford and Meriden work both in New Haven and Hartford, so it wouldn't function well as a single direction service like the SLE can.

At first I couldn't find information about wheelchair accessibility, but there is a sentence that says lifts could be used with low level platforms.

They also talked over and over about Amtrak connections, but MNCR connections would likely be more valuable/ used.

It would also be boosted by building out the SLE stations to allow bi-directional operations, creating a full triangular rail system that would be usable in any direction either in the morning or afternoon, and would stretch from GCT to OSB and Springfield.

I then read the part about the equipment. It skipped over the logical path of electrifying the SLE and then moving that equipment northwards. What I found very interesting, however, is that DMU's are MUCH more fuel efficient than push-pull. This isn't easily understood. If the locomotive in a push-pull train was to be downsized a bit, I should think it would be more fuel efficient, but I guess the weight of the locomotive outweighs (pun intended) the possibility of fuel savings through a larger, centralized locomotive. The study seemed to favor DMU's, even though they are totally unproven, and there wouldn't be any used ones available.

It cited noise and vibration as a big problem with locomotives. On a side note, GE will be coming out with hybrid diesels that basically work sort of like a Prius with the dynamic braking energy stored for use during acceleration, and these could solve some of the efficiency and noise problems that plague the current generation of big diesels, and would likely prove perfect for commuter rail. Although the report didn't explicitly say so, acceleration out of stations like Wallingford would probably be significantly impacted if the current GP-40's or P40's were used on this service because of their noise and vibration profile.
 #621457  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:I then read the part about the equipment. It skipped over the logical path of electrifying the SLE and then moving that equipment northwards.
You didn't miss anything. They didn't discuss it because it's not logical. Are you sensing a pattern yet?

Still waiting for this mythical money to appear...

-otto-