Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#143760  by Amtrak31

I was railfanning at Joliet Union Station yesterday taking photos. I was there to watch the fireworks. I've been photographing trains there for over six years. Everything was going fine until the Metra Sgt approached me. My six year old cousin was besides me. He saw that I was taking photos, and detained me and my cousin. He took us over to my parents who were sitting about 20 feet from us. He said we weren't allowed to take photos, and asked to see my dad's licence so he could run it. We are very good friends with the security guard. Since we knew him, the Sgt didn't run the licence. The Sgt said because of 9/11, we weren't allowed to take photos at the station. That was never a rule before. I think he's using 9/11 as an excuse to yell at innocent people.

#143762  by AmtrakFan

I would write to Metra about this and put an editorial in the paper.
 #143763  by Amtrak31

That's a good idea. In TRAINS Magazine, Metra said they don't have a problem with railfans photographing their trains. I guess the Sgt didn't know that. :( Thanks for your suggestions, John.

#143764  by metraRI

AmtrakFan wrote:I would write to Metra about this and put an editorial in the paper.
That has all ready been done and Metra has clearly stated that taking photos of their locomotives, bilevels, stations, etc. is not against any of their policies, even if it was July 3rd.
 #143766  by Amtrak31

I'm going to have to carry my TRAINS Magazine article with me now, saying it's OK to photograph Metra. Can't take any chances. I was photographing a BNSF Train with the Sgt detained me. I wasn't even photographing his railroad. BNSF should have detained me.

#143790  by MetraF40C607

Still, just say a railroad officer detained you for being there, even though it was a public area.

#143844  by nate

My Bro-In-Law and I took some pictures at the Aurora station one day. After reading some of the threads on here, I'm sorta amazed we didn't get a talking too, then again, there wasn't really anyone at the station but the ticket lady and the train crew. We took some close up shots of the fuel gauge and the couplers too, like terrorists might :P

#144015  by MikeF

Just a thought ... while photography on the Metra system is not a problem most of the time for the vast majority of fans, Nick was taking pictures at a busy terminal and crossing on one of Metra's busiest days of the year, when security was heightened systemwide. Although his incident is unfortunate, I wouldn't let it discourage anyone from taking pictures at other times.

#144117  by thmitch

I was at Joliet Union Station for about 3 hrs Saturday. Two Metra security and one Joliet police officer saw me with my camera and radio scanner and no one said a word to me.

Terry
 #144165  by Amtrak31

It was the actual Metra Police that got me. How was it at Joliet? Hope you had a good time. :-)
Nick

#144622  by thmitch

It was only my second time at Joliet Union Station. The Metra security were the guys in the yellow shirts. They were only a few yards away and I know they saw me. There was a lot of train acitivity while we were there with Metra switching train sets, three Amtraks, an Iowa Interstate and a number of BNSF frieghts.

Terry

#144638  by David Cole

Joliet Union Station is one of my favorite spots to enjoy the trains. I've been there dozens of times, but have never had any trouble with the cops. (Either the real ones or the rent-a-cops.) But then, I rarely take any photos down there.
 #144989  by Amtrak31

I guess the reason the Sgt asked me not to take photos was because it was so close to the fourth. I was just there yesterday, and three Joliet Police Officers were patroling the place. I took photos and didn't have any trouble.
Last edited by Amtrak31 on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

#145703  by MetraF40C607

Probably GP38s. But lets stick to Metra, okay? This is the Metra forum after all, you know.

#146014  by thmitch

Yes, there were 5 GP38's. It was on Metra owned track, doesn't that count? :-D