Railroad Forums 

• MBTA switches to text-to-speech voice for all Green Line announcements

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1611609  by TurningOfTheWheel

Within a few years, Frank Oglesby, Jr.'s voice will be fully phased out. The Green Line is the first to see the new text-to-speech software, previously seen on the Type 9s, replace all prerecorded announcements. Other lines will soon follow.

https://huntnewsnu.com/69983/city-pulse ... bys-voice/

Brief, fair-use quote:
With the increasing need to convey “real-time information through many more channels,” the MBTA is switching to automated voice announcements, said Lisa Battiston, the deputy press secretary.

“Unfortunately, working with Frank every time a new audio file was needed was not a sustainable process — it added time and cost to an already laborious process,” Battiston said in a statement to The News. “So, for the Green Line, the decision was made to use a text-to-speech service. Over time, the MBTA intends to bring all fleets into alignment with this.”
 #1611624  by GirlOnTheTrain

NYCT has an entire department that makes real time service disruption announcements - and some of the people in that department record the AAS announcements as well.
 #1611632  by FatNoah

“Unfortunately, working with Frank every time a new audio file was needed was not a sustainable process — it added time and cost to an already laborious process,”
In short, it was extra work for people. I doubt paying Frank was the dealbreaker in the T's $2.5+ billion dollar budget.

Regardless, I hope we get more announcements like the TTS ones at North Station that are a) hard to understand and b) mispronounce many place names and other words.
 #1611678  by eolesen

The advances and capabilities of text to speech have been amazing, so why not use a real-time service vs. trying to match up piecemeal recordings?

It's never been about the cost. It's the portability and flexibility. You can't always predict what's needed on a given day.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1612009  by eolesen

It's not hard to get it correctly - you just define a phonetic replacement...

Harvard = Haaavuhd
Concord = Conkerd or Concawd

I've done some convincing NYC accented profanity using phonetics...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1616031  by CRail

The new PTIS on the Commuter Rail can't pronounce "is". I don't understand what's so difficult about recording announcements.