Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Internet (Wifi) on Commuter Rail

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#496540  by MPScan

Apparently there is a test in progress. I was skeptical at first when I saw screenshots and got the URL's, but further research shows that this firm, Parvus is a 25 year old company specializing in providing this type of service.

Initial testing is on the Framingham/Worcester commuter rail line. You can find more information here:

Node Listing (notice all the MBTA ones in test):
http://ridernet.parvus.com/wifidog/node_list.php

Splash screen shown to users:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2384/221 ... d8.jpg?v=0

Most importantly, the information page:
http://ridernet.parvus.com/splash/MBTA/

There is an address, [email protected] for comments and questions. They also reference an MBTA.com URL, www.mbta.com/riding_the_t/wifi, that is not yet active.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out!

#496552  by Epsilon

Hm, that must be the MBTA WiFi network I logged onto the other day- it was on the Greenbush line though.

#496593  by l008com

That is VERY cool. Makes me wish I had someplace to go on a train :-)

#496692  by concordgirl

This would be AWESOME!!! North Side last, though..... ;-)

Wait, just think.... (don't groan, guys ;) )

Does this mean I could post about my train, while I am still on the train???

:-D

#496777  by railfan101

concordgirl wrote:This would be AWESOME!!! North Side last, though..... ;-)

Wait, just think.... (don't groan, guys ;) )

Does this mean I could post about my train, while I am still on the train???

:-D
I do on my Trio daily :P

#496781  by Arborway

concordgirl wrote:Does this mean I could post about my train, while I am still on the train???
Very post-modern. ;)

#496785  by concordgirl

lol Well I just got an iPod Touch for my bday.... ;-) Since that device can do wireless internet, it would be perfect! I just wonder how consistent the service would actually be....

#496930  by concordgirl

Okay, the article only mentions trains going out of SS.

Maybe later on next year the cattle on the NS will get to use that inter-web thingy :P ;-)

#497044  by bierhere

It works!!!!

I'm on P502 right now, posting. Speed isn't too bad, like a DSL connection. Certainly resonable for sending emails, browsing the web, doing a IM chat. I've hit some deadspots, but overall in 10 minutes of using it, its not bad.

I noticed two router on this mornings train. One with excellent signal, and one with a poor signal.

#497076  by Diverging Route

Would those who find the test cars please post the car numbers? That way we can identify them from the outside and give it a try.

#497099  by bierhere

Seems like 900 cars. I was on 918. I noticed a little white bell shaped antenna on one end of the car. It was not there on the 700 series cars

I also noticed that 921 had a similar antenna.

#497135  by Arborway

I expect the latency to be horrible, but the speed should probably be decent - until the masses start using it which will probably bog it down.

Let's just hope there is some halfway decent port filtering to keep people from running BitTorrent on the way to and from work.

#497189  by sery2831

Has anyone seen any stickers on the cars indicating something like wifi here?

#497202  by jgeary27

The WiFi link under "Riding the T" on their website is working now. You can check out the signal strength tested along your line (all lines, not just Worcester) here:

MBTA Signal Strength Maps

The FAQ says that the routers are enabled regardless of the line the equipment is serving, so if we get a list of equipped cars going, everyone can try it out... although if they are indeed only 900 series cars the Northsiders are out of luck :(

I do enjoy this bit:
Q: Why was the Framingham/Worcester line picked as the primary test pilot?

A: For two reasons. First, it provides one of the best opportunities from a geographical perspective to test Wi-Fi capabilities as it runs from Boston to central Massachusetts (Worcester) through various terrains (hills, wooded areas, etc.) Secondly, we are aware that the Framingham/Worcester trains have experienced significant performance issues due mainly to the owner and operator of the line (CSX). For that, we want to offer Framingham/Worcester customers the first opportunity. Our goal is to roll out Wi-Fi service to all lines once we′re able to perfect it.
Dear Worcester Commuter, since you're going to be late anyway, here, have some free internet! :-D