Railroad Forums 

• MARC Waldorf Line?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#286722  by gprimr1

More potential for an intermodel station.

I do worry a bit though about an intermodal station, would that hurt ridership?

#345690  by gprimr1

How does this line relate to the CSX Landover sub?

#346298  by acsxfan1

The line would be perfect for a couple of RDCs, and then connect them with METRO

#349797  by gprimr1

Yep, or a DMU. That way service frequency could be increased, and fewer long sidings would be needed.

I like your idea of coupling them to the Metro.

#490033  by gprimr1

http://www.examiner.com/a-1145039~Maryl ... ary_s.html

What was fantasy may become reality. I hope they don't do light rail or bus service.

I'm from that area and I know that buses probally wouldn't go down because they probally wouldn't have their own right of way.

#490584  by realtype

In my opinion the decision to use MARC servuce would be dependent upon two main questions:

Are there enough riders down that side to justify the line? and Is there any existing right-of-way to use?
Last edited by realtype on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#490673  by gprimr1

Popes Creek subdivision would be used, Probally between Bowie and La Plata.

Delays are prevelent on MD-5. It all depends on if they could get enough speed to compensate for the 30 minute detour to Bowie.

#490909  by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"Popes Creek subdivision would be used, Probally between Bowie and La Plata.

Delays are prevelent on MD-5. It all depends on if they could get enough speed to compensate for the 30 minute detour to Bowie.

An idea that I came up with more then 6 years ago was to extend one or a combination of the metrorail lines further east.. (Orange line to the Collington area of Bowie, Blue line to Micthellville or the Green line to Upper Marlboro) build an intermodal transit facility at one of those stations. Run the MARC service between La Plata and Penn Station in Baltimore.

Such a schema would kill 3 birds with one stone. Two seat rail service to downtown DC, commuter rail service between Southern Maryland and Baltimore. (the Crain Highway corridor is pretty heavily used between Southern Maryland and Baltimore), commuter rail service to Fort George Meade from Southern Maryland (BRAC).

#490938  by gprimr1

You have too look at time too, commuters aren't going to want to spend an hour or more making every station stop. If the idiots who designed Metro had built an express track, it would work.

Plus Metro doesn't have bathrooms.

#494478  by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"
http://www.examiner.com/a-1145039~Maryl ... ary_s.html

What was fantasy may become reality. I hope they don't do light rail or bus service.

Was doing a search of light rail on washingtonpost.com this morning to see if I could find any news on the Anacostia light rail project.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but here's what appeared in The Washington Post two days after The Washington Examiner article. No MARC trains on the Popes Creek branch. Their talking light rail or bus rapid transit.

Md. Plans Study of Commuter Rail to D.C.
Line Would Reduce Burden on Bus System

By Jenna Johnson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 10, 2008; Page SM01

In Thursday Washington Post

O'Malley Offers Skinnier Budget
$552 Million, 500 State Jobs Cut

Followed up in yesterdays Washington Post

Transit Funds Cover Commuter Lots, Light Rail

By Christy Goodman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, January 20, 2008; Page SM04

#494850  by gprimr1

Light rail and BRT will fail. When are these idiots going to learn why MARC is successful. It's not successful because they fell over their asses and got lucky.

#495178  by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"
Light rail and BRT will fail. When are these idiots going to learn why MARC is successful. It's not successful because they fell over their asses and got lucky.

The reason why Light rail or bus rapid transit is being proposed and not MARC is because this schema provide a more direct route to Washington DC. The proposed alignment in Prince George’s County will serve areas between Brandywine and the Branch Avenue metrorail station that can’t be served by MARC running on the Popes Creek branch.

This project is not new, it was proposed in the Transit Service Expansion Plan published by WMATA in April of 1999.

Will it become reality? That remains to be seen.

#495252  by CarterB

From looking at the Metro Green Line map ..and topozone....what would prevent (other than $$$) extension of Green Line from Suitland (via Silver Mill - Walker Mill Park valley) or even Branch Ave. up to Richie and then a DMU line over the old CBRwy ROW down to Upper Marlboro and south?

#495512  by Sand Box John

"CarterB"
From looking at the Metro Green Line map ..and topozone....what would prevent (other than $$$) extension of Green Line from Suitland (via Silver Mill - Walker Mill Park valley) or even Branch Ave. up to Richie and then a DMU line over the old CBRwy ROW down to Upper Marlboro and south?

It would be more logical and cheaper to run your DMU service directly to the Addison Road station as the Chesapeake Beach Railroad right of way crosses the WMATA G Route Blue line right of way just east of the station.

#497483  by gprimr1

I live in this area and grew up in it so it is near and dear to me.

A service like metro, which makes every stop will fail. It will not be time efficient. Perhaps if there were express trains, it might work but they can't express past Branch Ave.

Metro does not provide it's customers bathrooms. People value bathrooms.

Heres my theory, MARC is successful for a reason. It provides a comfortable ride, limited stops, restrooms and good parking. Why not try it out here? Why waste a ton of money, building a metro extension, when you could just test out MARC service. God knows CSX has the spare capacity on this line.