Railroad Forums 

• Manayunk Canal Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1554054  by Sir Ray

Are you sure about your research that the paper plant is still in operation. Could any activity be due to cleanup of the property in preparation for redevelopment?

PaperWorks Industries, which owned the plant in 2017 when it was closed, doesn't even list the plant on its' locations website (not a great website, rather clunky early 2000s like). Their HQ is listed in Philly, but the address is over a mile from the old Venice island plant. On the web there are a few proposed redevelopment plans for the property, the kind you get when you let unimaginative corporate urban planners loose.

Google Aerial wasn't much help, I think their 3D overhead is from 2014 as I zoomed in on the entrance and it dumped me on a 2014-date street-view of the entrance gatehouse. The 3D view did capture a a black and cream[?] switcher (probably in one of the images posted previously) parked at the sooth end of the property, near the bus turnaround.
 #1593170  by NotYou

I used to bicycle past there sometimes on the Schuylkill river trail when I lived in Philadelphia . I was amazed the plant was open as long as it was, cycling by on a weekend you would have no idea it was operational.
 #1604319  by gprimr1

I was surprised to see this thread back to life.

This is def one of the photo shoots I will forever regret not investing the time and money in to get photos.