Railroad Forums 

• Maine Narrow Gauge RR & Museum in the news

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#488624  by MEC407

Article in today's Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram:
The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum is preparing for the possibility that the train and tourist attraction might be displaced by plans to redevelop Portland's eastern waterfront.

Railroad officials say they would like to stay and expand the train's route in Portland, where it attracts more than 20,000 riders and visitors annually and is operated by 90 volunteers.

Still, they are scouting locations in Cumberland and in Kingfield, in case the train is forced to leave the East End site that it has occupied since 1993.
Read the full article at:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story ... 9&ac=PHnws

#488740  by uhaul

If I go to Maine in 2008 I will have to try to get over there. Might the state intervene and help save the railroad or is that a pipe dream?

I type in Brown because I can.

#488741  by MEC407

I don't think there's much danger of the MNGRR going out of business, but there is the possibility that they won't be able to stay in Portland forever. They are actively looking at other possible locations, just in case.

Their current lease for the Portland property runs until 2009, according to the article... so you've still got some time. :-)