Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central Steam Locomotive #470 Discussion

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#84869  by Richard Glueck

I have become a bit frustrated at the lack of action on the part of the City of Waterville. Yesterday night, I sent Mayor LePage a letter to that effect. The Mayor put the coordinator's responsibility on the City Engineer, and he spoke to me once by phone during November. SInce then, I emailed him 3 times and received nothing in response. I finally decided to remind the Mayor that the group must convene in order to work on grant proposals and funding resources, and this must happen prior to Spring. I email a copy to the reporter who is covering this at the Waterville Morning Sentinel as well.
The 470 is not going away and neither am I. The locomotive is going to be addressed, and I am not going to stop pushing this issue. Interested parties are encouraged to email Mayor Paul LePage and request action be taken. I put this inaction squarely at the foot of the City Engineer, at least at the present.

#86253  by Steam

C'mon everyone... let's start emailing the "powers that be" in Waterville and urge them to keep this ball rolling.

Even a shelter over the locomotive such as has been created at White River Jct. for the ex-B&M #494 would be a reasonable goal.

But first the engine has to be evaluated. First things first.

Government agencies are notorious for letting everything "slide" until the activists tire of the game and go away. I suspect there is some of that at play here.

The more people who write, the more the city fathers will be inclined to act.

#86504  by NellsChoo

Would it be worth sending info to Trains Magazine and the like? As with the Flying Yankee project, I am shocked as to how little support the rail public actually gives for these rare trains/engines. I started getting the FY online newsletter and I think it said they have 300 people signed up. That's it?? Maybe I expect more from people, but rare objects being saved should stir up emotions more from supporters.

Am I wrong? It has happened before, after all :wink:

Jonelle
 #110957  by Richard Glueck

My original attempt to have the 470 placed under cover and restored was widely supported in the responsible railfan community. This was a detailed plan, including oiler and running gear inspection, needle scaling, and parts replacement. At the request of the Mayor, Waterville City Engineer Greg Brown took over the cause and immediatly excluded me and my input from the committee and it's actions. I have been kept in the dark about the goings on of the "committee" since it was formed, and Mr. Brown comes off looking rather foolish in press interviews on television. His original plan had been to pull her off display, fire her up and run her. Now he's talking moving the locomotive to another site. Does anyone know anything real about the "restoration plan"? Obviously, Greg Brown doesn't! Who is on this "committee", and do they have a clue as to how to restore the locomotive rather than just cut off the damaged parts and repaint it hulk?
If I sound disgusted, you have gotten the message loud and clear.

#110987  by MEC407

I, too, am thoroughly unimpressed with the way they've treated you. You were the one who made the effort and took the initiative, and in return you've been excluded without so much as a "thank you" or word of recognition. I'd be disgusted too.

I hope the people who are on the committee have the 470's best interest at heart, and I hope that at least one of them actually KNOWS something about steam locomotives, otherwise this project is doomed.

#111163  by NellsChoo

Richard, you have done more than so many people who think something should be saved. Don't give up!

#111721  by Steam

I was afraid of something like this once you got politicians involved. The only thing you can do if they've shut you out of the process, is to continue to keep the light of publicity focused on them and their "committee" in the media. You have nothing to lose, as they already are obviously against you.

Make sure the public demands to know (through the media) what is going on.

Good luck, cause you'll need it.

#113722  by TRR12

Richard, Be aware that here in western NY a small towns selectmen decided that the civil war cannon that that been in their cemetary for about 100 years was to valuable to leaveout there, someone might steal it,
so they sold it to a private collector for 20,000 without saying a word to anyone in town, no notice or vote or anything else. I would not want anything like that to happen to the 470.

hold their fingers to the flame. :-D

#116004  by Richard Glueck

Guys, I lit the fire but have been totally pushed away from it's glow. In plain, ugly, short, simple truth, the City Engineer, and quite possibly the Mayor, does not want me involved in the restoration of the 470. I still have all my documents, inculding the pages upon pages of grant funding printouts that I had prepared for the project, but I have been ignored and dismissed entirely. I think Greg Brown (city engineer) should be publicly called to task by those of you who are welcomed to speak out. Now, if the 470 was sold to a private collector, or museum for that matter, I think it would be in better hands than those of Greg Brown and his fly-by-night-under-the-cover-of darkness plans for YOUR locomotive.
 #116169  by H.F.Malone

Richard, why not tell your story to the local newspaper? Seems like the politicos need to have some "light" shed on their actions (or inactions). Or is the local paper in bed with the city officials? Something smells here, and it's not the smell of fresh paint or soft coal smoke.....

The story of the Gainesville Midland 2-10-0 that was nicely restored for about $70,000 should serve as a template for 470, and the costs are there for some reporter to see.

#116633  by Richard Glueck

Copies of all my correspondence with the Mayor and Greg Brown have been sent to the Waterville Morning Sentinal at the same time. I agree, "Iron Dave's" work in Georgia is the model for the type of action I proposed. Dave was one of the more interested parties in taking part.

#118686  by Richard Glueck

http://www.ci.waterville.me.us/470/photos.htm

Apparently something is being done. Check out this web address which appeared on the 470 Club's website. No word as to what the plans are or the method of executing a thorough restoration, inside and out.

#119009  by Steam

I emailed the Mayor's office and received a reply stating that you (Richard) would be kept in the "loop" about the restoration plans from now on. Have they contacted you? If not, keep the heat on them. I indicated to the Mayor that many people are watching this performance from afar, and for them to not screw it up.

#119045  by Richard Glueck

As of this date, I have been told nothing about the 470 and it's future. I have a letter from the City Administrator (dated in February) telling me that Greg Brown is to keep me in the loop. There is no loop.
Thank you for your confidence and keeping the pressure on the Mayor's office.

I want to encourage everyone, to throw your positive efforts behind getting the 470 sheltered and properly restored. Insist that a proper locomotive restoration contractor evaluate the loco, and not the City Engineer. Insist on a fence that runs from ground to ceiling. Insist on full illumination of the engine's interior and lamps. Insist on a full lubrication of her bearings and bushings. Insist on proper gauge sheet metal to repair her tank and cover her boiler. If replacement gauges and markers are put on her, insist on nightly police attention on a permanent basis. The 470 is not a playground, but a serious last vestige of the Maine Central Railroad, when railroading meant something. This is your locomotive, and not just the committee's.

#126294  by Steam

I noted a flyer about some sort of "470 Day" celebration included with the 494 NEWSLETTER from the group in White River Jct., VT which is restoring B&M 494.

The 470 event lists lots of trendy, yuppie-kid-friendly activities, which seem to be designed to raise awareness of the locomotive more than anything else. Most of it ranges from face painting and music to food and fun for the whole family. It is to be held at the "470 Park".

Anyone know more about this and who's behind it?