Railroad Forums 

• Main Line Crossing (Almost) Eliminations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1626629  by interface76

I've been riding the newly expanded main line a lot lately, and in seeing the completed project in all its glory, I noticed that some of the eliminated crossings along the way are only partially removed. I saw one or two in Westbury, one in Mineola, and, most curiously, one in New Hyde Park.

The Westbury/Mineola ones are all fenced off, with only the concrete road planking remaining. Ok, so I figure maybe some MOW use in that there's no real access from any streets...
However, the former South 11th Street crossing in NHP is pretty unique in that not only is the planking still there, but both sides of the new iron fencing at that location are fitted with sliding "mansion" style gates.
IMG_5678.JPG
IMG_5678.JPG (227.11 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
I'd assume this is there for some emergency purpose?
 #1626632  by workextra

They’re for track cars to access the ROW within the working limits.
They’ll get a brief block across the adjacent track(s) and put the track cars on the railroad at those locations and release the blocks on the track(s) remaining service.

In extreme emergencies or pre arranged conditions when a movement can’t cross under lirr at NHP, I guess that crossings can be opened and used under flag protection. But we’re taking something either too big to fit under the tracks or emergency.
Trust me. There are NO public grade crossing between Divide and Jamaica.
Anyone caught crossing on the one at NHP is subject to a fine/civil penalty if caught or death for their negligent actions.
Trains pass there at 80mph and in some cases on all 3 track at the same time or slightly separated, when you think it’s clear, it’s it and you pay with the ultimate fine.
 #1626679  by Head-end View

Interface76, both of the street crossings in Westbury were totally eliminated. Both
Urban Ave. and School St. are now underpasses where vehicle traffic and pedestrians go under the tracks. There aren't any other crossings in Westbury.
 #1626681  by interface76

Allow me to clarify, I know quite well they were all closed to the public as part of the project. That wasn't in question.

I was just curious about the remnants seen along the way, as well as the NHP setup.
 #1626682  by interface76

That actually kind of makes sense, I didn't think of that purpose. (i.e. something on a truck with too high a clearance for any of the new underpasses)
workextra wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:06 pm In extreme emergencies or pre arranged conditions when a movement can’t cross under lirr at NHP, I guess that crossings can be opened and used under flag protection. But we’re taking something either too big to fit under the tracks or emergency.
 #1626683  by Head-end View

If I'm not mistaken, all the new underpasses have 14 foot clearance so virtually all commercial trucks should make it. I think I once saw a tractor-trailer go under School St. without a problem.
 #1626701  by workextra

99% of trucks can make the new UGBs provided by the projected.
However in the absolute necessity that a non railroad vehicle needs to cross, the company or vehicle owner would have to coordinate such movements with the railroad.
There are 2 other access locations 1 by the old
Willis ave crossing on tracks 1 and 2 into
And another between carl place and westbury stations on all 3 tracks.
Neither one of these are public capable and are strictly 100% for company use to get vehicles on and off the OOS track.

The MOW access in NHP just so happens to be capable of emergency crossing abilities in the absolute worst case scenario.
 #1626721  by interface76

Now that you mentioned it, yes, that's about where I noticed the other concrete planks in the tracks.

For those interested, this is another angle of the mansion gates in NHP, taken from 3rd Avenue.
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG (313.37 KiB) Viewed 992 times
 #1627119  by workextra

It was a wise decision to install that access feature.
Fwiw they did install similar access ramps on the “Babylon branch” around Seaford, Copaigue and I think a few other locations
But they usually use Valley or Freeport Team for that purpose.

I understand safety, but these fences & gates do look disgusting. They destroy the character of the community as does the big beautiful walls put up so supposedly catch and divert the sound.

Does anyone here live along that corridor? Can you confirm if the walls make a real difference?
 #1627172  by interface76

workextra wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:30 pm Does anyone here live along that corridor? Can you confirm if the walls make a real difference?
I'm in "Fence Territory" so I can't say for sure. I did date a girl years back who lived near the "walled" Long Island Expressway, and I don't remember whether or not they made a difference since I was never there before they were installed.
 #1627181  by ExCon90

I see many head-end videos of Germany and other countries showing sound walls that are no higher than the belt rail of the coaches (and of course the trucks are where the sound comes from). How high are the walls on the LI? Any graffiti yet?
 #1627211  by workextra

Depending on how the land form is in the area around window high on the MUs and in some locations taller thank the MUs (Carl place) though I think in this area the sound wall is also
Doubling as a retaining wall and security fencing.

As far as graffiti is concerned the great artist have already signed their name on the new canvas in several areas. (At least on the track side)
I guess they figure the passengers needs some art to appreciate as they roll by and look through the frosted over windows 🤣