Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1626566  by Head-end View

There was some discussion about this a while back. I think they might have said it's for an electronic device such as a tablet, that might eventually be used for train orders, etc. Someone who works there will have to explain more fully.
 #1626576  by Kelly&Kelly

Head is correct. They are for a tablet which is proposed to replace timetable, book of rules, safety rulebook, etc, etc. when and if permitted by the FRA.
 #1626595  by workextra

It pretty much has more to do with the current paper timetables no longer fitting in the windows where guys use to run with out. Once they put the big cab signal display unit in the front of the controller a lot of the already little space was taken up.

As for the tablets. I been told we may expect to see a few engineers trial them later this year at the earliest.
The FRA issue with cellphones and other electronic devices used by engineers while operating needs to be ironed out.
Such devices it’s currently supposed to be a I pad mini, are prohibited
 #1626621  by Head-end View

And (LOL) if and when the FRA eventually allows these electronic devices in the cab, the M3's may be all but gone from the LIRR and the time, effort and money spent to install those tables will have been wasted, no?
 #1626678  by gamer4616

Yes, it's as workextra described.

With the installation of PTC, there are new cab signal displays in the operating compartment where an engineer would place their timetable to verify schedules, etc...

That tray has been installed so an engineer has a place to put their timetable for quick access.

It has nothing to do (as of now) with tablets. The last I heard, the tablets would be 3-4 years down the road. Hopefully the M3's are gone by then!
 #1626897  by workextra

Enjoy the M3s while they’re here.
There is no plans to save a small “heritage fleet” so once their gone they’re gone.
Supposedly later this year they wanted to test those iPad ETTs so we’ll Know more then And that will likely be a different post/topic.
I think NYandW had a Picture of the cab in it’s the new ADU where the engineers used to place their book.
Times have change.
 #1627027  by workextra

For those who don’t know. The above posted photo by NYandW shoes the cab signal system installed on the “dashboard” where engineers would
Usually place their timetables back in the m1/m3 era.
Grant it, some engineers left the book on the top of their bag on the floor by the door back then too, but that practice has fallen out of favor, other uses to write the run on a piece of paper and keep the book in the bag. It was all personal preference.

The installation of that PTC equipped ADU on the dash took that space away from engineers so they installed the “coffee table” to satisfy complaints about not having a place to put your timetable.

Enjoy the M3s petition the MTA to tell
LIRR to paint a Blue stripe and a M on at least one pair. It would Get positive reviews.
 #1627110  by workextra

Hey, look closely on the east car (A car) and they almost all Still say “no smoking” The M1/M3 the rule Was smokers would be the B (west)car
It’s a relic from a bygone era that’s clearly visible today.
 #1627197  by BuddR32

workextra wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:39 pm Hey, look closely on the east car (A car) and they almost all Still say “no smoking” The M1/M3 the rule Was smokers would be the B (west)car
It’s a relic from a bygone era that’s clearly visible today.
The B cars also had a small flip sign on the vestibule dropped ceiling area that would flip the word NO before a permanent SMOKING stencil. towards the end these were screwed down in the NO position.

Offhand I cant remember if the M3s have these, but the M1 def did. It was a BUDD thing, because the same flip panel is on their RDCs
 #1627234  by workextra

Yes! The M3s did have them too! I remember one that was still reversible and someone flipped it to show smoking.
How times have changed.
 #1627239  by alchemist

Remember, as long as they were here they never lost the smell of stale tobacco smoke. The Alchemist was a smoker until he saw the light and couldn't stand the stink of those cars!
 #1636238  by bulk88

How short sighted, the PTC box couldnt be made to fit in the old ATC space on the left.