Railroad Forums 

• LSRC 469 issues

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#461701  by Allen Hazen

What's the history of this unit? (Sorry, if I were a REAL Alco fan I'd know.)

From the captions it was still operating in revenue service at over 50 years of age... which isn't bad for a diesel locomotive. Does it still have its original 244 engine?

#461851  by SSW9389

The D&M RS-2s were heavily rebuilt by ALCO in the mid to late 1950s. The units retained an uprated 244 engine, new 510 water cooled turbochargers and a 1600 horsepower rating. Externally they looked more like RS-3s than RS-2s. See The American Locomotive Company A Centennial Remembrance p. 365 by Richard Steinbrenner.

#462142  by Allen Hazen

So, the 469 is one of the original D&M units? If so, if the road number is original, it dates from 1946: so one of the oldest roadswitchers around. Even with the rebuild ("250" engine (?) etc), it's still a historic locomotive.

(Thinking about it as a potential museum exhibit... The long hood may look RS-3-ish, but it still has the narrower RS-2 short hood and doesn't have the RS-3 battery boxes: authentic enough for most!)

(Steinbrenner's book is great: I'm on the wrong continent to consult my copy right now, but it certainly has an amazing amount of detailed information as well as a coherent historical narraqtive to fit the details into!)

(Thanks for answering my stupid questions, SSW9389!)

#463159  by MarkVZ

Yes, the 469 was among the original RS2's purchased by the D&M in 1946.

It and the #466 are the only survivors of the lot, with #468 and #4610 being scrapped a few years ago in Alpena, MI. They had been heavily cannabalized for years prior to that.

#467 was scrapped in Port Gibson, MS in the mid-80's. I've been told that its prime mover and other parts still exist as part of a private collection in Arkansas.

#481 was scrapped by the D&M in the late 80's or early 90's.

#466 is currently dormant but in-tact in White Pigeon, MI. It was sold to the Tuscola and Saginaw Bay RR by the D&M before being sold to it's current owner, which I believe is the Michigan Southern (MSO).

It will be a shame if the LSRC gets rid of the #469. I wonder if the RS3M's are soon to follow with more GP40's arriving.
 #599975  by Patrick

the 469 and 974 and maybe the 975 are being stored untill spring, when they are SUPPOSED to ship out to the DL&W. I've been told they all need wheel work first and the DL&W is supposed to send up a crew in the spring. NO idea how true this is. The Ex CN unit in that picture was scrapped last week.