Railroad Forums 

• Looking for abandoned rail yards

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#200825  by Noel Weaver

Maybrook is a waste land so far as the railroad is concerned. Only thing,
it is in NEW YORK STATE and not New England.
Noel Weaver
 #200949  by Cosmo

Try looking at Maybrook from the air, via Google Earth or Landvoyage, Terrafly or some other such server.
Cosmo.
 #201085  by gawlikfj

There's only ruins left.
The ruins of the Ice House,The Light Tower,The New Haven Office Building, The Water Tower Base.
Thats all I saw when I was there. With the one track running threw .
 #201912  by eddiebear

That yard in Sudbury at Maynard/Stow/Hudson Line is for what used to be an ammo dump. At start of World War II a large area along both sides of the Sudbury-Hudson Road was obtained, quite forcefully in most instances, by the national government. Residents were compensated and moved out. (Sparsely populated farming area.) A large ammo dump and military complex was constructed. The operation had its own diesel switcher. B & M would bring carloads of ordnance into Ordway Yard in special freights, often hauled by 2-8-0s from Boston. When large scale troop movements to Europe began, the military stores were moved out, some probably via South Sudbury, Framingham and Walpole to Commonwealth Pier, others maybe to the the Hoosac Docks and overseas with the soldiers who were mustered out of Camp Edwards, Camp Standish (Taunton) and Ft. Devens.
The area was well guarded into the 1960s. The Firefighting Academy is on the property. The military tracks did cross Hudson Road. Some of those Sudbury yuppies would probably collapse if they knew they're living right next to a former ammo dump, part of the war machine. But of course most won't know because they don't care about history.

#202044  by CN9634

I encountered an abandoned yard in St. Rosilie (Spelling?) PQ.

PQ?

#202092  by Cosmo

I'm guessing you mean Province of Quebec? Either way that's WAY outside New England. I know Maybrook is actually in NY State, but it was a major gateway for New England traffic over first the Central New England and then the New Haven RR. I cant figgure how St. Rosalie fits here.
Anyone?