Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1595820  by R36 Combine Coach

Where on the island can excursion service operate? Oyster Bay does not have track for such and I can't see
RMLI running on the Main Line without interfering with the North Fork local shuttle.
 #1595881  by MACTRAXX

PF - Instead of going on unreliable rumor information why not contact RMLI President Don Fisher
and ask him about the status of RS3 1556?

As R36 notes the MTA will not allow museum excursion trains to operate over LIRR tracks...MACTRAXX
 #1598674  by workextra

The nail in the coffee for historic locomotives leading trains even mp15s on passenger trains is PTC, there was no provision in place to allow during LIRRs installation.

However if one were to provide lirr with a ACSES/ASC equipped locomotive capable of operating as a type C/D train
And LIRR actually turns on those parameters. Only Then can something run.
There’s more to it than this, but this is a HUGE aspect of why it won’t happen.
 #1602149  by MADDOG

workextra wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:40 pm Hi,
Yes, opinions are like…… everyone has one.
That said, all that can be done now is to salvage what’s left of this agreement and see if it can be re-railed before the terms expire.
Providing the errors can be righted, and modifications made within reason I don’t see why 39 can’t run at the SRC.

That said. I’am curious to know what happens I’d the terms are not fulfilled?
When the agreement deadline passes, does the SRC Ship 39 home in pieces? Do they use the available funds raised for finishing the firebox/boiler to a point just shy of starting the clock for the 1472?
Does 39 come home at all or does SRC take ownership?
What happens? Anyone?
Does anyone here actually read these posts or understand what is really going on?????
#39 IS NOT in Strasburg. Only the boiler is there. Everything else is still in safe storage on Long Island, possibly except for it’s whistle. There is an agreement in place between SRR and RMLI. If/when RMLI fulfills it’s share, all monies and all of #39 goes down to SRR.
IT’STHAT SIMPLE AND THAT EASY.
#35 is still up at the Oyster Bay RR Museum waiting for the next contract to be approved by the Town. They have laid out 2 tracks from the turntable and have move both GE 25 tonners and N-52 hack #12 onto them. They are prepping the property to begin laying out track #3 which is being called the #35 track as this is where #35 will be reassembled.
As for the Museum itself, they have completed the installation of 2 bathrooms and additional electrical equipment installation and are just waiting for the Certificate of Occupancy open up for the season.
As the season moves on, there will be more equipment being moved within OBRM rail yard. Hopefully, during the winter volunteer season, they will be able to install the “freight track” parallel with Duke Supply, as track #7 or 8.
I do hope that this is helpful.
MADDOG
 #1602164  by BOMOPTSKWH

Even without PTC and ACSES and ASC the LIRR is NEVER going to allow ANY steam locomotives to run. Period. It’s not even the lawsuit happy insurance nightmare- - It’s the insane purple haired climate change treehugger liberals that infest NY State government. And since MTA IS GOVERNMENT - there it is. COAL!!!! OMG😱😱😱😱! Not gonna happen.
 #1602286  by BOMOPTSKWH

It’s got nothing to do with EPA. It has everything to do with the current management at LIRR. A bunch of PC liberals, more concerned with saving the planet by not using straws and diversity in the workplace. This is the crowd that spent untold tons of dollars on important stuff- like Braille signs in engineers cabs. Makes sense, I guess- for the blind engineers. LIRR is not going to allow steam.
 #1602295  by BOMOPTSKWH

One. The others are peanut oil powered. Used to be three or four home built locos on the mountain at the same time. Smoke plumes visible for miles. Sad.
 #1602298  by photobug56

BOMOPTSKWH wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:19 am It’s got nothing to do with EPA. It has everything to do with the current management at LIRR. A bunch of PC liberals, more concerned with saving the planet by not using straws and diversity in the workplace. This is the crowd that spent untold tons of dollars on important stuff- like Braille signs in engineers cabs. Makes sense, I guess- for the blind engineers. LIRR is not going to allow steam.
Braille signs in the cabs - is this for real? If so, that's insane!
 #1602300  by photobug56

As to PTC or equiv for a steam loco, this may become more practical over time, given the work by UP with 4014. At last check, their early implementation requires a diesel behind it that has certain equipment to feed the display, controls in the 4014 cab, but they were hoping to eventually eliminate the need for the diesel.
 #1602314  by nomis

Why have 2 signs in inventory when one will suffice?