Railroad Forums 

• Locomotives at Kinua Dam - c1960?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1312869  by MT14L

Locomotives at Kinua Dam - c1960?

Does anyone out there have any photos/resources they can share on the use of locomotives to build the Kinzua Dam on the Allegheny River, near Warren, PA?
Construction time period was c1960. Three locos reported to be owned / used by construction company Hunkin/Conkey... two small Plymouth and one GE centercab. Apparently the two small Plymouth locos were also used earlier to build the power plant at Niagara Falls, NY. Info/photos on locos during construction of Kinzua, "life" before Kinzua, and "life" after, if any, is also requested and appreciated.
Replies either here or to my e-mail are ok. But, replies here are more enjoyable by all.

Thank you!

[rayg]
chevy2003 at live dot com
 #1328011  by thebigham

http://lakeshorerailway.com/genesee-wyo ... ay-museum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Genesee & Wyoming Locomotive Coming to Lake Shore Railway Museum

Lake Shore Railway Historical Society acquires Genesee & Wyoming’s first diesel-electric locomotive

This GE 80 ton centercab locomotive was the first diesel-electric locomotive owned by the New York State shortline Genesee & Wyoming Railroad and was given the number 20

In 1962, Genesee & Wyoming sold this locomotive to Cleveland, Ohio, construction contractor Hunkin-Conkey. Hunkin-Conkey moved the locomotive from Restof, NY, to Warren, PA, for use with the building of Kinzua Dam on the Allegheny River. The locomotive remained stored in Warren after the construction of Kinzua pending the start of a tourist railroad that never materialized. In 1982, a locomotive broker sold the locomotive to a steel mill near Youngstown, Ohio. The locomotive, eventually sold and moved to McDonald Steel and then was gifted to Youngstown Steel Heritage Foundation in 2008.
Genesee & Wyoming’s first diesel-electric locomotive
 #1328054  by EMTRailfan

Cabless National Forge #392 already at the Lake Shore Museum was also part of building Kinzua.

[EDIT] I just realized you are the OP, Ray. I guess you already know about #392, lol!!!