Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive cabs

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#397238  by LCJ

So do you turn the cap around backwards when you run reverse?

Thanks for the cab tour!

#398701  by GOLDEN-ARM

cab AND cap tour............ :P

#398714  by GOLDEN-ARM

Ex-Pittsburg & Shawmut SW-1200 (is it REALLY a SW-9 ?), #1866, now the W&P 1201 various cab shots........

Cab shot, Albany shops

Original "High-Tech" control stand, 26L brake added.......

Engineers station, with gauges and control switch panel viewed

Engineers station, with "steering wheel", rear cab door and radio head visible, as well as back of AB valve.........

Side view of headlight MU switch, headlight switch and breaker controller box, as well as horn cord and engineers' side window......

View out the front windshield, from "the SEAT"............

Hump controller, on top of control stand.......

A fuzzy shot, of the grill and "business" end of the Shawmut Pup........

Engineers side with MU type platform clearly seen..........

Waiting for this loco to be returned to service soon.......... :-D

#402589  by USRailFan

Does anyone have a shot of the cab interior of a BQ23-7 (those things apparently had a five-seat(!) cab)? Preferrably a shot showing the whole cab layout, not just the control stand..

#403247  by GOLDEN-ARM

USRailFan wrote:Does anyone have a shot of the cab interior of a BQ23-7 (those things apparently had a five-seat(!) cab)? Preferrably a shot showing the whole cab layout, not just the control stand..
That would be tough to shoot, short of removing the roof, and shooting from above. It could be done in pieces, but the whole thing at once is a tough one.

#431384  by emd_SD_60

DM&IR SD40T-3

#474191  by Plate F

Good pics! And the BQ23-7 is UGLY! A few questions.

One: http://64.246.11.82/images/images2/u/up ... .62140.jpg
How is the horn operated with this style of lever? Does it push in, or pull in any direction?

Two: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=160711
The first car that this loco is coupled too, is that a Canadian cylindrical grain car? I saw one here in Geneva today. I am pretty sure it is grain, anyway.

Three: I saw an odd car that said "[Something] Alberta". It was blue/yellowish print. What is it?

#474200  by 3rdrail

Great shots ! Interesting thread ! EMD SD 60 - on the shot of UP 5158 SD70M, a sign reads "43" wheels - 38" witness groove". What does that mean ?

#474235  by LCJ

3rdrail wrote:..."43" wheels - 38" witness groove". What does that mean ?
When new, the wheels were 43" in diameter, with a witness groove (used for determining wheel rim thickness after the wheel has been worn or cut down on a truing machine) that is 38" in diameter.

#486821  by ENR3870

Adriel wrote:Good pics! And the BQ23-7 is UGLY! A few questions.

How is the horn operated with this style of lever? Does it push in, or pull in any direction?
I believe you pull down.

#504022  by nickleinonen

When new, the wheels were 43" in diameter, with a witness groove (used for determining wheel rim thickness after the wheel has been worn or cut down on a truing machine) that is 38" in diameter.
you got it.. many new units come with 42" wheels with 36" witness grooves. same over all diameter, but it gives you 1" more tread thickness. at work we tried running the big tread wheels [56/16" tread thickness] with 38" grooves but they rubbed the trucks bad on the ge dash 9's.. so we went to the smaller wheels with the same thick tread..
I believe you pull down.
you can push up, down or in to actuate the horn. the switch is a regular push button switch that has a lever on top of it.. some models would let you push it left or right and it would actuate [it rocked and the disc on the bottom of the lever would push down on the button]
 #558982  by Ironman

I like the desktops. I've never banged my knees on it and I'm 6-1. When I want to kick my feet up, I just rest them on the desktop. Very comfortable.

I can't stand the control stands on our 70ACe's or the newer GE's with the old style stands. Hard to get in and out of the seat because the stand is like a big wall, and if the seat is not locked on the trailing units it can swing around and dump the train.