Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Metroliner Circa late 90s Early 2000s? 2001-2?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1630619  by ConstanceR46

Hello. In a couple older posts i've found rumors the LIRR was testing a Metroliner set as depowered coaches for Cannonball service. I don't take rumors lightly, but as several people have made this claim, i have to ask

1. Is there any truth to this?

2. How far did testing get before the idea was canned? I've read that if it happened, it was the DE/DMs jumper cables, or alternatively the coaches not making curves. As the LIRR has operated the FRA and Amtrak-derived inspection vehicles since then, i'm left wondering if it was either, something else, or just untrue.

3. If 1 is true, then did this set actually make it to testing on LI? Do pictures exist?

#1630660  by fender52

I think there was also talk at the time of running a train from Albany through to Montauk.

That was some politician's dream at the time and it didn't go any further than the test runs.

They were also looking for additional diesel cars at the time which they did lease for a bit from MARC if my memory is still there.
 #1630759  by MACTRAXX

CR46: Amtrak was considering running through train service between Albany and Montauk at one point...

The LIRR stations served were to be Babylon (eastward equivalent of Croton-Harmon); Patchogue (largest
Suffolk County Montauk Branch village); Westhampton, Southampton, East Hampton and Montauk.

As F52 mentions a certain East End politician came up with this service idea - I believe this was the same
person that sought to double-track the Montauk Branch in its entirety from Y eastward (mile 50.6 to 115.8)

Amtrak fares were to be about the equivalent of LIRR Hamptons Reserve Service which would have been
a tough sell (no pun intended) with cheaper fares and more frequent Montauk Branch trains available...

The LIRR only leased MARC trainset(s) for one Summer season running primarily on the Port Jefferson Branch.
The LIRR Forum Archives should have topics on both of these subjects if anyone cares to search the pages...
MACTRAXX