Railroad Forums 

• Let's Talk Penn Central! Book Review: Merging Lines by Richard Saunders, Jr

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1637856  by AllThingsTrains

Today is the 56th anniversary of the Penn Central Merger, which caused many seismic changes in the rail industry. New York State remains at the center of this, so, it's fitting the All Aboard Podcast did its latest book review--of Richard Saunders, Jr.'s Merging Lines, which touches heavily on PC and the transportation crucible in which it was formed.

Let us know what you think of the book...and the merger...

https://www.allthingstrains.com/post/bo ... aunders-jr

Have a great day,

Phil
Phil Bell, Host
The All Aboard Podcast
[email protected]
 #1637915  by GRSdave

Merging Lines is my textbook reference when it comes to all things regarding North American Railroading from 1900 to 1970. Saunder's Main Lines brings me into the 2000s. I also the like The Wreck of Penn Central because it names good guys and bad guys. It spells out the financial mess the merger created. All 3 are a great read if you care to learn the details of how Penn Central ultimately failed and more. From the ashes of PC came Conrail, I saw it all trackside as a teenager, 1971 to 1978 and what a show it was. Today these books give me the rest of the story as the late Paul Harvey would say. As a kid I thought Penn Central was cool. I still think that today but am wiser.