Railroad Forums 

• LAL 425

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#968912  by chrisnewhaven

As I understand it, LAL C-425 #425 (that's easy to remember!) is a former New Haven unit. Does anyone know what number it carried under the New Haven? Also, what is it's current status, and when retired are there any plans to donate/preserve it?
C.J.V.
 #969003  by Sandy Burton

Chris,

#425 is very much alive and well, being used almost daily on the LAL's "road" train to Rochester. I doubt there are any thoughts of retiring it.

Sandy
 #969008  by scottychaos

Built 1964
b/n 3398-8

nee NH 2557 - 1964 (4 years with NH)
to PC 2457 - 1968 (8 years with PC)
to CR 2457 - 1976 (5 years with CR)
to CR 5086
to LAL 425 - 1981 (30 years with LAL!)

current status - on the job! :) still doing whats she was made to do..working 5 days a week between Lakeville and Rochester. She's a classic.
If the railroad has any plans for preservation, no one "outside" knows about it..but thats ok..she isnt going anywhere anytime soon.
Only 3 years until her 50th birthday! :)
Scot

#969256  by chrisnewhaven

Well that's fantastic to hear, especially since she's the last New Haven Alco still regularly hauling freight (and the only one curently running as RMNE RS-3 529 is being overhauled)! On a road like the LAL, I think 425 will have many more years of active service. It's also interesting to see she's been with the LAL longer than all the other roads combined! Now I'm wondering, are there any Alcos that have stayed with the same railroad longer than 30 years? In Canada maybe?
C.J.V.
 #969340  by Alcoman

chrisnewhaven wrote:Well that's fantastic to hear, especially since she's the last New Haven Alco still regularly hauling freight (and the only one curently running as RMNE RS-3 529 is being overhauled)! On a road like the LAL, I think 425 will have many more years of active service. It's also interesting to see she's been with the LAL longer than all the other roads combined! Now I'm wondering, are there any Alcos that have stayed with the same railroad longer than 30 years? In Canada maybe?
C.J.V.

Don't forget about the Danbury Museum's RS-11 1402 and FA-1 0428. While not running, they should be added to the "survivors" list.
 #969350  by scottychaos

chrisnewhaven wrote: Now I'm wondering, are there any Alcos that have stayed with the same railroad longer than 30 years? In Canada maybe?
C.J.V.
Good question! and I dont know the answer..but LAL has two more Alcos that have been with them even longer than 425! ;)

LAL RS1 No. 20 - arrived on the LAL in 1972 - 39 years! she is currently OOS, needs some work, but she is not formally retired.
LAL S2 No. 72 - arrived on the LAL in 1978 - 33 years. Currently in use, I saw her working the yard last weekend.
LAL C425 No. 425 - arrived in 1981 - 30 years.

Scot
 #969821  by BR&P

You don't have to look too far. Ontario Midland 408 and 36 (ex-361) both arrived on the property a couple weeks before startup date of 10-01-79.
 #969828  by chrisnewhaven

Alcoman wrote:
chrisnewhaven wrote:Well that's fantastic to hear, especially since she's the last New Haven Alco still regularly hauling freight (and the only one curently running as RMNE RS-3 529 is being overhauled)! On a road like the LAL, I think 425 will have many more years of active service. It's also interesting to see she's been with the LAL longer than all the other roads combined! Now I'm wondering, are there any Alcos that have stayed with the same railroad longer than 30 years? In Canada maybe?
C.J.V.

Don't forget about the Danbury Museum's RS-11 1402 and FA-1 0428. While not running, they should be added to the "survivors" list.
I haven't forgotten them, there are currently 6 New Haven Alcos left.
FA-1 0401, at RMNE, awaiting restoration.
FA-1 0428, at DRM, awaiting restoration.
RS-1 0670, at Central New England Railway, in service.
RS-3 0529, at RMNE, oos for the 2011 season for repairs and relaxation
RS-11 1402, at DRM, awaiting restoration.
C-425 2557, now LAL 425.

Looking over this list, I realized I made a mistake, there are two NH Alcos still in freight service, LAL 425 and CNZR 0670!
C.J.V.
 #998304  by Matt Langworthy

C.J.V.
Interestingly enough, the B&H has had Alco S1 #5 since 1970 and S1 #4 since 1970 or '71. My sources vary on the timing of #4's arrival.
 #998349  by scottychaos

chrisnewhaven wrote: Now I'm wondering, are there any Alcos that have stayed with the same railroad longer than 30 years? In Canada maybe?
C.J.V.
Susquehanna had a few RS1's on the roster nearly 40 years..
1945 to 1985 (or so)..
dont have the exact years they were off the roster, but I can dig for the info..

But the B&H S1's have already topped that record..so its moot anyway! ;)

None of the eastern class-1's could top that, because they merged out of existence early..(compared to other roads)
Something like Union Pacific, SP, or ATSF might have had some unusually long-lived Alcos..that served their whole career with the same railroad.
but 40 years will be hard to top!

(how about D&H?)

Scot