Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1632350  by jp1822

4911 and 4912 were Viewliner I Sleepers in the consist I had last week......
 #1632384  by F40CFan

I see it often on the Elkhart virtual railfan camera and usually either the Boston or 2nd NY sleeper is a V II.
 #1632504  by F40CFan

This morning's LSL didn't have a sleeper on the head end Boston section. There were 2 VI and 1 VII sleepers on the NY section in back.
 #1632507  by STrRedWolf

F40CFan wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:12 am This morning's LSL didn't have a sleeper on the head end Boston section. There were 2 VI and 1 VII sleepers on the NY section in back.
I have heard that folk in Sleepers from Boston were put in coach until Albany and then transferred into the sleepers post-combination.
 #1632517  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, I don't know who in their right mind would pay for a "First Class Private Room" and, if they knew in advance, to "listen to the music" all night long.

Put a Sleeper smack on the head, and it's unavoidable.
 #1632520  by F40CFan

Yes sir, I agree. There's not even a bag to provide a little buffer space.

I would put the bag up front with the NY section coaches, then the NY sleepers, then the diner. Stick the Boston sleeper next to that followed by the cafe and coaches. I'm sure they could figure out how to combine it with minimal moves. They did a pretty good job of combining and splitting the Tampa and Miami sections at Auburndale.
 #1633534  by GimboJoe

Just returned from a round-trip NY to South Bend on the LSL. the NY consist included two Viewliner Is, and boy were they tired... Why is Amtrak still running these things? And flex dining was almost inedible.
 #1633993  by STrRedWolf

And I’m on 49(29)… and got to deal with this mess:

https://www.wtol.com/article/news/local ... b32b64b812

In short, a car swerved around the crossing gates at a level crossing at the last minute and got hit on the driver side by the right half of the lead engine. At least one fatality, although I’ve heard that two teenagers in the car were killed.

We’re back on the move 3h45m late.
 #1634054  by NHV 669

Today's P048 apparently hit a crossing in Wickliffe, Ohio, knocked off the plow, and derailed the second car. Same lead unit involved in yesterday's fatality.
 #1634055  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:18 am Today's P048 apparently hit a crossing in Wickliffe, Ohio, knocked off the plow, and derailed the second car. Same lead unit involved in yesterday's fatality.
correct. the plow broke off the 130 and derailed luckily only one axle on the café car
 #1634377  by STrRedWolf

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:18 am Today's P048 apparently hit a crossing in Wickliffe, Ohio, knocked off the plow, and derailed the second car. Same lead unit involved in yesterday's fatality.
The engine used (130) in the lead was involved in the accident on Wednesday (the 30th), and was subject to a bad equipment order. It got slapped on 48(1) without repairs and caused this one. Passengers were bussed the rest of the way.
 #1634379  by STrRedWolf

The LSL seems to be an accident magnet. It hit another person in Goshen, IN off 48(4), and some of the folks that we were riding in on 49(29) experienced it on 48(4):

https://www.953mnc.com/2023/12/05/goshe ... -by-train/
A man died after being hit by a train in the 300 block of North Main Street in Goshen.

Goshen police were on the scene just before 1 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 5.

Authorities discovered James Pritchard, 30, of Goshen, deceased on the south side of the railroad tracks.

Police have indicated that no foul play is suspected in the incident.
(An aside: Sadly "if it bleeds it leads" doesn't work anymore with news. Two deaths and it took ether overnight or a police press release to get more details on accidents... shame.)

(EDIT, s/IL/IN/ per Mr. Norman)
Last edited by STrRedWolf on Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1634859  by Champlain Division

Okay, sorry about all the fatalities, but does anyone know when we might see one of the new ALC-42s on this train?
 #1634892  by Railjunkie

Champlain Division wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:39 pm Okay, sorry about all the fatalities, but does anyone know when we might see one of the new ALC-42s on this train?
The Rennselaer shop is "the place" for maintenance on P42s according to Amtrak. They love the work they do to the point most if not all problem children show up there. It will be the last hold out for GE products on the Amtrak system this was straight from upper upper level Amtrak. I personally have yet to receive any classes on the new Yugos I mean ALC42s nor have any of my brother racoons in the E part of T&E or the folks at the shop. They will not just show up there will be a test train or 5 so Amtrak can be sure the cab signal, ACSES, and I-ETMS work as intended until it goes into revenue service, because it always happens, never fails. Plus they will need to train about fifty of us to start. On how to make it stop and go, troubleshooting issues and so forth.

The above covers the train from TOL to ALB and ALB to BOS