Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited Schedule

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#67094  by updrumcorpsguy

Looking at the published timetable for the Lakeshore Limited, it seems to me that if it were to depart Chicago at a later hour (like the current Three Rivers) it could make sure no one was stuck in Chicago from a late arriving western train, serve Cleveland at a more decent hour, and still arrive in New York by early evening (if it were on time)

Westbound, it's still problematic: Make it leave earlier, and you could take care of Cleveland, but (if on time) it would arrive in Chicago hellishly early. Make it leave later, and you risk the danger of missing connections to western trains.

I'm sure there are mitigating circumstances I haven't thought of, but on the surface it looks plausible. If I were going cross country by train, having to find my own dinner in Chicago would certainly not be the worst case scenario.

What do you think?

#67281  by Rhinecliff

As some our regular correspondents will likely remember, I have some rather strong feelings regarding the Lake Shore Limited's current schedule. In my opinion, if there is to be only one frequency a day along the LSL's route, then the Westbound should depart NYP at 7:25 p.m., and the Eastbound should depart CHI at 6:25 p.m.

In light of the forthcoming elimination of the Three Rivers, however, I understand what is being said about pushing the Eastbound's schedule back some to improve connections. But pushing it back really does destroy the utility of the service. The later the Eastbound arrival into NYP/BOS, the more of the day that is shot to travel, and the more attractive alternative means of transportation becomes.

#67293  by RMadisonWI

I haven't looked at the schedule to study the full ramifications of the change, but I think, anyway, that pushing the Capitol Limited's schedule back a few hours to cover for the Three Rivers would be a better idea.

This would preserve "late train" connections to Pittsburgh and east, plus connections to Florida at WAS (pushing the LSL back would probably kill any connections at NYP if the Meteor gets a later departure restored, whereas the Capitol could still connect to the Meteor in DC).

New York folk could be sent up from DC to NY on one of the jillion trains that way (sleeper pax could be acelaed).

Though, that's the problem when you lose yet another connection to the east, trying to balance the importance of one connection vs. the other.

Robert Madison

#67300  by jp1822

Agree with Rhinecliff on a later westbound and earlier eastbound schedule for the Lake Shore. If only all trains could operate on schedule we wouldn't have to worry about the connecting train issue. I'd settle on a 5:00 p.m. departure from NYC (like the Capitol Limited from WAS). Not all Lake Shore Limited riders are connecting to West Coast trains in Chicago. I'd rather be able to work a full day in NYC, then hop on the train and arrive mid-morning in Chicago. I know a few business travellers who gave up on the Lake Shore Limited for business travel to Chicago as a result of the former noon westbound departure from NY. Yes, there are still a few of us left at various ages, but gradually getting frustrated with the trains. The 2:50 p.m. departure is better, but later would be best. Would also close the gap on waiting for West Coast bound trains in Chicago and serve western stations that typically only get train service in the wee hours of the morning (unlike the Buffalo to NYC corridor that hosts multiple trains at descent hours).

The eastbound schedule has been the pits for years - lose a whole day travelling on the train. If only we could get back to the 16 1/2 hour runs of the New York Central's 20th Century Limited and PRR's Broadway Limited.

But back to reality for a moment, in a trip on the Lake Shore Limited in April, we left NYP 1 hr and 10 min late (4:00 p.m.), but arrived into Chicago on time!!! So if the padding could be eliminated (miracles may have to happen), just imagine what could be done to the schedule!

#67316  by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:I haven't looked at the schedule to study the full ramifications of the change, but I think, anyway, that pushing the Capitol Limited's schedule back a few hours to cover for the Three Rivers would be a better idea.
Mr. Madison,
I like you idea I would have it as a 8 PM Dept. then 4 would be a 5PM out of LAX then they could do the same day run thru.

AmtrakFan

#67385  by LI Loco

In it's early years, the LSL left New York around 7:30 - 8 pm. This schedule was ideal since it got to Cleveland approx. 12 hours later and had an early afternoon arrival in Chicago with a minimal (2 - 3 hr.) wait for connecting trains. Eastbound this could not be replicated due to the need to wait for the arriving transcons and the hour lost crossing back into the eastern time zone.

Unfortunately, unreliable schedules forces Amtrak to push the WB departure time ahead so that the train comes through Cleveland in the middle of the night and, consequently, poorly serves that market.

#67420  by RMadisonWI

Not to mention, in earlier times, the westbound LDs actually left Chicago later. It used to actually be possible for passengers on the Empire Builder to CONNECT to other western LD trains (Eagle, Zephyr, Chief, etc.). Of course, the same slowdowns that stretched out the schedule of trains like the LSL also hit the western trains, lengthening their schedules, forcing connections to be broken. Even now, obviously, many trains struggle to make the schedule.