Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, B&H, WNYP Train Movements 2009

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#666257  by kf7strng

DFT last night with 630,636,637,638 NB through CP Emporium @ about 544PM. With four units, the SB leg must have had a lot of Tonnage on it, because I doubt WNYP would bring 4 big alcos over Keating Summit for 20 or so empty hoppers.
 #671244  by NS59

There was movement on the Buffalo Line North of Olean on 5/12 in the afternoon. The WYNP pulled a few covered hoppers out of storage with 1 unit. I was unable to catch what the locomotive was though.
 #674273  by apratt

LA&L Southbound in the afternoon on 5/21 with 425 & 432. Switched Avon yard, then put 12 loaded covered hoppers into the extended Papermill Road siding. Headed into Lakeville with about 12 more cars, mix of hopper and tank. Was right at the Papermill Road crossing, so turned the car off and listened to the Alcos rev up as they moved back and forth across the road. Unfortunately on the East side of the train in bright afternoon sunllight; not good for pictures. Never know there was a recession based on the state of the LA&L - there are cars everywhere! Does Howlett Farm ship or receive anything in tank cars? There was one at the South end of the siding.
 #681416  by NS59

Looks as if #41 is up and running again. Tuesday evening the 636 & 41 went North towards Machias,NY in a push/pull fashion
 #682146  by scottychaos

WNYP C430 number 432 left Lakeville this morning, (Friday, June 12, 2009)
with the LAL observation car "Traveler" in tow.
I caught the train in Avon (only the loco + Traveler) heading north through Avon about 12:30 today.

Up to Genesee Junction, then south on the R&S.
down to Silver Springs, crew change, then the pair headed east on the Southern Tier Main toward Hornell..

Presumably headed to the WNYP..(although its also possible, but less likely, that they could be going to the B&H)
but probably WNYP.

Photos coming soon! :P
Scot
 #691934  by Allegheny

On the afternoon of June 30, I actually saw two WNYP Alcos and a string of empty hoppers northbound on the Buffalo Line in Franklinville, yes I said Franklinville. I haven't seen a train go through this portion of the line for at least a year, although they must have sometime as there are empty covered hoppers parked in every siding along the line. I don't know where they were going, but assumed either they would interchange with B&P at Machias, or possibly have an arrangement to pick up sand/gravel in Machias at the old gravel pit near the junction with B&P. One other time I did notice that the main track southbound PRR position signal south of the Elm Street crossing had a proceed indication, where it usually shows stop, but I didn't see a train anywhere.
 #693825  by kf7strng

Dft-15 northbound @ 129 at about 5:47PM. WNYP 630 Leading, followed by RRPX 43, and about 21-24 cars. I don't know if someone else has spotted 43 on The Buffalo line, but I FINALLY did tonight!
 #700936  by railwatcher

7:40 am Sunday morning was the usual for me sitting at the computer enjoying the morning coffee and internet time. Then I heard the trumpteing sounds of airhorns then bells. A train on the LAL before 8am andddddd on Sunday! Wife asked, why I was still sitting at the computer so we went for the chase. The move was to switch cars out at Barilla, 6 loaded cars were sitting on track 2 in AvImageon yard with the empties being on the Barilla lead.
 #700952  by railwatcher

a little more thottle and up onto the main.

coming through Avon yard headed south

New gates and lights are installed at Avon's Main St. but are not in service yet. So the crew stops and protects with flagman and flare set and the train heads south to Lakeville.

After the 10 cars cleared the crossing I took off to catch the train at the Littleville crossing, But #418 was too fast for my Grand Prix and I missed the train at the crossing, missed it again at Papermill Rd. The chase was over, and we went home to post the pictures. I havent been able to get out and chase the LAL in awhile, due to the new daytime hours work at the bus company, so this was a great day for me!