Railroad Forums 

• L&N, C&EI Pine Series Pullman Cars

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #48396  by william powers

Does anyone know of existant Pine Series Pullman cars that the L&N and C&EI acquired in 1953.. I think there may be one of them cosmetically restored and preserved at Bowling Green Kentucky.. Any others?

#51857  by John_Perkowski

There are at least two PINE series 6-6-4 cars extant.

One, believe it or not, is out in Denver

http://www.cozx.com/

One was Loblolly Pine, which was made over into a business car. Barger has it in his UP Business Cars book ... it's in Arizona now, in private hands as the Promontory Point:
http://www.azrymuseum.org/roster/roster.html

A sister car (letter variant of the Pullman Plan) was at the Durham Western Heritage Museum ... one of the UP "National" series.

HTH, John

#55534  by ACLfan

Another car, the "Short Leaf Pine" is a coach car built by the Pullman Co. in 1953 for the L&N.

Following its retirement, the L&N sold the car to the Ringling Bros. B & B Circus. The Circus used the car on it circus trains for quite a few years.

After its "second life retirement" from the Circus trains, the Florida Gulf Coast Railroad Museum near Bradenton, Florida acquired the car, where it is presently located for the public's enjoyment. The Railroad Museum is actually located near the small community of Parrish, FLorida, on US 301.

#56593  by william powers

I remember seeing several of these sleeping cars in the Union Station coach yard at Louisville in 1971, Whispering Pine, Short Leaf Pine, White Pine Come to mind,there were several others;also Green River I remember a flute sided Pearl River and Mobile River . Pearl River may exist in Bowling Green. There was a pristine looking fluted sleeping car named Florida Surf with the Acl styled purple letter boards (3448) and Louisville and Nashville script stored there for awhile, too.. I just recently learned that it ended up in Mexico. I guess most of them are gone but I wish Kentucky Railway Museum could latch on to one of those Pine Series Cars as well as Diner 2790 (Budd, Built for Crescent) which at one time was still out there in Amtrak service.
 #67226  by bill haithcoat

Chickamauga Pine(NC&STL 6-6-4) is on location at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga. L&N ordered 22 of those cars, C&EI ordered five and NC&STL ordered two.

Also, the City of Memphis Observation lounge is located there. It has been re-painted in traditional L&N blue.
 #591035  by Bartman-tn

Southern Appalachia Railway Museum in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, has three (yep, 3) Pine-series cars. The Museum removed them from the site of the original Purple Martin Museum in Griggsville, Illinois, two years ago.

The cars are:
ex-L&N Rocky Creek Pine
ex-NC&StL Georgia Pine
ex-NC&StL Tennessee Pine

All of these cars were sold to David Witherspoon and his scrap yard in South Knoxville, Tennessee. He put together a train to haul people to special events such as Tennessee football games. The cars were then sold to the Purple Martin bird house factory in Griggsville, which used them as part of a bird museum that used dozens of passenger cars. Most of the equipment was sold off but 5 cars remained. We got the three Pine cars, sold off ex-Milwaukee Road coach 600, and cut up Hickory Pine due to its deteriorated condition.

With SARM's recently restored L&N C-420 1315, an L&N GP30, L&N 1616, and a few more L&N locos, Oak Ridge has quite a bit of L&N equipment sitting around.

Check out www.southernappalachia.railway.museum for info on the organization, although the website doesn't cover all of the equipment.

Re:

#1347180  by jhdeasy

="John_Perkowski"
One was Loblolly Pine, which was made over into a business car. Barger has it in his UP Business Cars book ... it's in Arizona now, in private hands as the Promontory Point:
http://www.azrymuseum.org/roster/roster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the former C&EI full sleeper LOBLOLLY PINE has been converted to an open platform business car, and is now privately owned and named PROMONTORY POINT. The car's current owner is a Director (and former President) of AAPRCO.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4016772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;