Railroad Forums 

• Keolis to introduce new schedules by 11/1/15

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1351973  by chrisf

Rockingham Racer wrote:This is all well and good, but one must wonder why this particular line gets such good service compared to the others. Is there a lot of money out that way? A lot of political pull? Both?
The Worcester line has the 2nd highest ridership on the system, after the Providence line.
 #1351986  by Rockingham Racer

chrisf wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:This is all well and good, but one must wonder why this particular line gets such good service compared to the others. Is there a lot of money out that way? A lot of political pull? Both?
The Worcester line has the 2nd highest ridership on the system, after the Providence line.
That's a good reason. Just wondering.
 #1352038  by dbperry

Rockingham Racer wrote:
chrisf wrote:
That's a good reason. Just wondering.
And Providence line has some advantages and disadvantages that prevent it from getting the same 'tweaking' attention as Fram / Wor:

1) Higher track speed, so trip over same distance is already shorter.
2) Less stations closer to Boston. Also less total stations, and way less stations per mile.
3) Really no opportunity to setup 'leapfrog' moves due to heavy usage by both commuter rail and Amtrak. ('Leapfrog' is my term - having an express pass a local when both are travelling same direction (in or outbound).
4) Higher overall 'usage' esp. since parts of the Providence line 'feed' Stoughton, Franklin, and Needham lines.
5) Need to schedule commuter rail trips to stay out of the way of the Acela, which can do 150 mph on same stretches where commuter rail is not that fast.
 #1352133  by The EGE

Providence is approximately the same distance as Worcester, and Mansfield about the same (3 miles further) as Framingham. With the current schedule, AM peak travel times to South Station are:

Worcester: 99, 88, 102, 75, 99, 93
Providence: 73, 75, 72, 72, 64, 76, 77

Framingham: 55, 44, 58, 33, 55, 44, 55, 50, 55
Mansfield: 44, 45, 41, 41, 41, 32, 46, 48

So the Providence Line is already reaping the benefits of fast track speed and wide station spacing, with massive ridership (1000 to 2000+ riders per day) at every station from Route 128 to Providence. The Worcester Line has higher population density and arguably a worse highway (with few local exits); there is a massive ridership potential that faster and more reliable service can and will unlock.
 #1352851  by harshaw

Somewhat related, but people talk about how there is growth opportunity on the Worcester line and a better schedule could facilitate it. However, for the first time I have ever seen, the parking lot at the Westborough station was completely full. I had to drive in today.
 #1352861  by Rockingham Racer

harshaw wrote:Somewhat related, but people talk about how there is growth opportunity on the Worcester line and a better schedule could facilitate it. However, for the first time I have ever seen, the parking lot at the Westborough station was completely full. I had to drive in today.
Time to build a multi-level!
 #1352873  by Komarovsky

harshaw wrote:Somewhat related, but people talk about how there is growth opportunity on the Worcester line and a better schedule could facilitate it. However, for the first time I have ever seen, the parking lot at the Westborough station was completely full. I had to drive in today.
Westborough and Southborough are always higly utilized, vs Grafton and Ashland which always have quite a lot of capacity it seems.
 #1352913  by harshaw

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Time to build a multi-level!
''

The thing is, the Westborough station is basically at the intersection of Shrewsbury, Northborough, and Westborough on a pretty deserted road. Of course, on the very wide access road there are tons of signs saying no parking. Go figure.
 #1352957  by octr202

Thanks for posting that. The more I look at it, the more I can't help but think that MassDOT and the MBTA were pressured into the "Worcester Bullet" concept, and the long lead time on the announcement is simply to get enough cold water poured on the idea by folks outside, in order to quietly do something more useful with the train.
 #1352964  by harshaw

The biggest problem I have with this schedule is that there is a *GIANT* gap between 510 and 512.

There is a 90 minute gap between trains. I don't know about other people, but the period of time between 8-9 AM is a pretty prime commuting time.
 #1352967  by octr202

I can't help but imagine that the "Bullet" is really intended to fill that gap, once the bullet concept is shown the door.
 #1353024  by leviramsey

An off-peak express is useless as a commuter train. But it's possibly useful as more of an intercityish train.

Consider a hypothetical intercity service on the B&A: South Station - Back Bay - Framingham - Worcester (perhaps also with room for a Riverside stop as a counterpart to RTE, especially if it becomes viable somehow to change to/from the green line). The only change I'd make to the "bullet" trains is to add Framingham as a stop.