Railroad Forums 

• Kawasaki Rebuild Program at Alstom

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1306487  by 8th Notch

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
MetroBostonRailways wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of what the cars look like?
I've seen pictures of the cab, same set up as the Rotems, 9 aspect Cab signal display unit, same operating computer screen above the windshield. What is odd is that the horn, bell, headlights, all have been converted to buttons, like the 1800's, and located on the panel to the left, and as 8th Notch wrote, look almost exactly the same. I questioned the pictures myself, but couldn't miss the 1705 number board
The rebuilt K cars did retain their 26C brake stands vs being upgraded to the fast brake setup like the Rotems. Personally Im glad they went with the push button and it makes sense to have them both the same that way they are interchangeable. The power door and PA controls were also changed to mimic the layout of the Rotems as well so basically we can call the rebuilt K cars "clones".
 #1306492  by ACeInTheHole

8th Notch wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
MetroBostonRailways wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of what the cars look like?
I've seen pictures of the cab, same set up as the Rotems, 9 aspect Cab signal display unit, same operating computer screen above the windshield. What is odd is that the horn, bell, headlights, all have been converted to buttons, like the 1800's, and located on the panel to the left, and as 8th Notch wrote, look almost exactly the same. I questioned the pictures myself, but couldn't miss the 1705 number board
The rebuilt K cars did retain their 26C brake stands vs being upgraded to the fast brake setup like the Rotems. Personally Im glad they went with the push button and it makes sense to have them both the same that way they are interchangeable. The power door and PA controls were also changed to mimic the layout of the Rotems as well so basically we can call the rebuilt K cars "clones".
Here we go with that last bit. This page is going to be loaded with how the K cars are "nerfed"
 #1320235  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BandA wrote:How do they have engines to spare for testing coaches?
Unaccepted HSP's that can't be cleared for revenue service because they haven't been able to get out for burn-in either. No cleared rails = no test trains running = unaccepted equipment piling up in the yard.