Railroad Forums 

• Is it going to snow?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1573101  by SST

I was bike riding along the shoreline. In order to avoid a moderate incline over the bridge I crossed the tracks instead that feed ADM and General Mills along Ganson st.

As I came around the corner I see not one, but two snowplows parked at the beginning of the Child St yard. They look beat! But, the brake hoses look new, clean and shiny. The scrap yard sits between the RR yard and Child st yard and I believe connected by rail. Hope these plows aren't here to be scrapped.
 #1573136  by neman2

I share your sentiments but if a railroad buys one of these ---http://www.knoxkershaw.com/propage-ksf940.html
that doesn't require a locomotive, train crew, several MOW employees , only needs one operator and can work the rest of the year as a ballast regulator or brush cutter it pays for itself in very short time.
 #1573191  by eolesen

You don't plow a 40 acre field with a lawn tractor...

That baby plow might work well on a couple inches, but it won't cut thru 24" of lake effect snow or drifts out in farm country.

Those Warren's do just fine from 48mm to 48" of snow.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1573239  by tree68

The first piece appears to be a double track plow - it only throws to one side.

The second piece appears to be a Jordan Spreader, which not only plows snow, but can trim ballast, take out encroaching (small) trees, cut ditches, and a few other tasks.

Jordan Spreaders are complicated, to an extent. Inside the control cabin is a plethora of valves, some to move the numerous cylinders, others to lock the cylinders in place.
 #1573251  by BR&P

Operating a Jordan Spreader is not totally removed from playing a pedal steel guitar!

To keep your hands busy:
img518.jpg
img518.jpg (287.35 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
And for your feet at the same time:
img519.jpg
img519.jpg (433.37 KiB) Viewed 3347 times

And there is a similar array on the opposite side for the other half of the machine. One operator can't use both sides at once, but two operators could - provided you have a large enough supply of air.
 #1573408  by tree68

Yep - unlock, move the cylinder, lock. For every single movement...
 #1589985  by videobruce

Both of those have been at the WE of the Engine House at FY for some time. When I was at the Storehouse five years ago, they had the hoses replaced and the air tested, but they weren't moved at the time. IIRC, they might of had a buyer back then, but the deal fell thru or the carrier changed it's mind (if they actually have one).

That scrap yard closed a few years ago, they use to have a good business, but things changed. CSX didn't want to service them anymore (if you can call anything that CSX did was "service") any more (even thou the yard was right there).
 #1590428  by lvrr325

There probably is a good business opportunity in buying these plows and a couple of locomotives and offering to clear snow the same way they have rail grinding trains and so forth.
 #1604513  by edotrains

Howdy y'all!

These plows have been purchased by GVT Rail. The plan is to flat car or flat bed these to Scranton for use on our Delaware-Lackawanna RR. Remarkably, the front plow is former-DL&W 95912 and spent it's entire DL&W and EL careers stationed at Scranton, plowing the very same mainline we will have it plowing!

It was built in 1948 at the Lackawanna's Keyser Valley shops. As with most of the products out of KV, it's built on a steam tender or hopper frame and would've come out with express/tender trucks. To that end, if anyone has any leads on tender trucks, please DM me (if that exists on this site). The plow has some unique design items, including the DL&W Keyser Valley-style caboose windows and door, both more narrow than other Russells.

EL PLOW 95912 FROM FALLEN FLAGS: http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el95912a.jpg

The Spreader is PRR 497408. As with the 95912, we're planning to do a 1956-era restoration of this spreader to either PRR MOW yellow or black. Though the black is more likely to be what it looked like (haven't found any photos of it in PRR era yet), this look, on kid sister 497409, has become pretty hard to resist when considering the restoration.

SISTER SPREADER 497409: http://www.godfatherrails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=1892

Additionally, for these restorations, we're looking for a DL&W-style (higher visor) Pyle/Natl headlight as well as the standard PRR steam headlight shown on 497409.

I ask that anyone viewing these plows down at Ohio Street keep GVT apprised of any concerns. We've applied locks to all doors, but stranger things have happened than just relying on open-able doors.

Thanks!

CDMV
EDO Trains & GVT Rail System
 #1604514  by edotrains

Syntax clarity: we're planning to do a 1956-era resto. on both pieces, but the DL&W plow will be in their MOW maroon-ish color, not 'black or yellow' as the sentence reads.
 #1604746  by SST

Thanks for the update. Nice to see something stay in the business instead of being scraped. Good luck.
 #1606733  by SST

Still here in Buffalo.

Any target date?
 #1610486  by BR&P

Quick! Drag them to the shop, repack the journals, lube everything up and go have fun! :-D :wink: :-D :wink:
 #1628974  by SST

A change on the reporting marks from CR to DL. Don’t know when this occurred. They still have not been moved and the track they are sitting on have not been severed.
IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 798 times
 #1639370  by SST

No change was noted as I drove by. Still there.