Railroad Forums 

• Information on train trip behind CNR 6060 Montreal to Quebec City 1976

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1635383  by Pat Fahey

Hi All
I know I am going back quite a few years asking for information on this trip that happened a long time ago...
What I am trying to find is What route the locomotive took out of Montreal to get to Quebec,City in 1976...
1. Did she take the Northeast route, via Joliette, Grand Mere, to Hervey and then south to Quebec City ?????
2. Did she take the South Route Northeast route via Saint Hyacinthe,, the current Via route to Quebec City...
I do hope that someone who rode this trip remembers,, I cannot find any photos of the trip on the web.. again Thank you in advance,, Pat.
 #1635416  by S1f3432

I found a trip announcement in the "Extra Movements" column on page 64 in the September 1976
issue of Trains Magazine. It was advertised as a two day ( 9-25/26-1976 ) 518 mile excursion behind
CN 6060 on the Laurentian Line on the north shore of the St.Lawrence River. Eight run pasts including
mile-long Cap Rouge Trestle, the Montmorency Falls and a tunnel location. Overnight stay at the
Manoir Richelieu at Murray Bay for $74.90 per person included. While it doesn't explicitly say which line
was to be used, the northshore line would have been more direct although the Cap Rouge trestle is on
the line to the Quebec Bridge across the St. Lawrence River and the south shore. The " Laurentian "
reference could have meant north shore all the way or just the portion of the trip east of Quebec City.
Hoped to find a news photo but no luck.
 #1635489  by Pat Fahey

Hi Greg
Thank you very much, for the information,, A friend of mine was on the trip with his wife,, and took slides of the trip,, I remember him telling us about the trip at the WLS track site.but I could remember what route out of Montreal the train took..
. Unfortunately George & Mary passed a number of years ago,,, this is why I posted... Thank you again, Pat.
 #1635505  by S1f3432

I was fortunate in that GT conductor John Egan invited several friends to accompany him on a
daytrip to Quebec to see 6060 on it's first outing, a round trip from Montreal to Victoriaville, PQ
by way of the St. Hyacinthe Subdivision on 15 September 1973. I was a senior in high school at
the time and this was a new adventure for me. CN was very passenger friendly back in those days
and always seemed interested in putting on a good show. The photo shows the train leaving
Richmond eastbound after taking water on track that has been long since abandoned.
Attachments:
197311A30_CN6060_RichmondPQ_15Sep73.jpg
197311A30_CN6060_RichmondPQ_15Sep73.jpg (302.08 KiB) Viewed 266 times