Railroad Forums 

• Increased NEC Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641342  by rugbychix

Still waiting for one more train southbound from NYP between 10:05pm to 12:20am. Better than when the last train was at 9...but still pretty embarrassing.
 #1641431  by Railjunkie

lensovet wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:22 pm At least two things going on that will affect Penn capacity, though neither are related to Empire service:

https://www.amtrak.com/pennstationaccess
https://www.amtrak.com/about-amtrak/new ... oject.html
As I have reported previously sometime in late July to early August Line 2 from Penn will be OOS as part of this upgrade. It will be out for approx. 18 months. As a direct result Empire service will be cut by at least 2 round trips a day if not more. Trains will be push pull as there will be no easy way to loop trains.
 #1642292  by NortheastTrainMan

@lensovet

To be clear, one ACS-64 is pushing and the other, for lack of a better term, is acting as a "cab car"?
Similar to how NJT ran ACES trains?

I'm more than aware of how Keystones operate with actual cab cars. I'm just curious to know if when there are locomotives are on both ends, if they're both "powering" like a doubleheader, or if it's like a push pull.

It's tough for me to figure out, because I saw one in person today (Push Pull Regional with bookended Sprinters) and it sounded like both motors were providing power. ACES, well, it was obvious to tell what was providing power.

If you or anyone could clarify that, I'd appreciate it.
 #1642294  by lensovet

The second locomotive is there as a cab car because there aren't enough cab cars to go around.

I presume it's up to the individual engineer to decide whether they want to engage the second loco for propulsion. But a second locomotive is a lot heavier than a cab car, so it's possible they would want to engage both to make sure the train isn't running any slower.
 #1642298  by CNJGeep

Both engines are running barring any unforeseen mechanical issues. One engine moving nine cars and a dead engine is a dog.
 #1642706  by BandA

The extra cost of wasted fuel is probably about the same or less than the cost of buying/maintaining/storing more new cab cars. Both engines need to operate 24/7 during freezing weather unless tied down to hotel power with electric heaters. With two engines you could have peppy acceleration and component redundancy.
 #1642711  by RandallW

BandA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:34 pm Both engines need to operate 24/7 during freezing weather unless tied down to hotel power with electric heaters.
Is this true of the ACS-64s?
 #1642722  by charlesriverbranch

Railjunkie wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:35 am As I have reported previously sometime in late July to early August Line 2 from Penn will be OOS as part of this upgrade. It will be out for approx. 18 months. As a direct result Empire service will be cut by at least 2 round trips a day if not more. Trains will be push pull as there will be no easy way to loop trains.
So, run the trains out of Grand Central.
 #1642725  by Railjunkie

NortheastTrainMan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:17 pm @lensovet

To be clear, one ACS-64 is pushing and the other, for lack of a better term, is acting as a "cab car"?

I'm more than aware of how Keystones operate with actual cab cars. I'm just curious to know if when there are locomotives are on both ends, if they're both "powering" like a doubleheader, or if it's like a push pull.

It's tough for me to figure out, because I saw one in person today (Push Pull Regional with bookended Sprinters) and it sounded like both motors were providing power. ACES, well, it was obvious to tell what was providing power.

Could both be on line? Sure could as long as the the train itself is set up that, communication cable between each coach and the ACS64s can be MU'ed. Don't run under the wire and not qualified on the electrics but the theories should be the same. The leader providing the HEP, ACSES and the trail would just provide extra horsepower/ braking effort if MU'ed. If not the rear unit is in isolate, no tractive effort and is basically a box car.
 #1642748  by rcthompson04

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am
NortheastTrainMan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:17 pm @lensovet

Could both be on line? Sure could as long as the the train itself is set up that, communication cable between each coach and the ACS64s can be MU'ed. Don't run under the wire and not qualified on the electrics but the theories should be the same. The leader providing the HEP, ACSES and the trail would just provide extra horsepower/ braking effort if MU'ed. If not the rear unit is in isolate, no tractive effort and is basically a box car.
What you are describing is how some Keystones have ran for some time. You can tell when there is two engines going as there is definitely more acceleration.