Railroad Forums 

• I did a boneheaded thing with my n scale locos

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#741674  by Cadguru

So my son just turned five and loves my collection of N scale locos.
He has a Lionel Polar Express Train Set.
He was excited so since I don't have any N scale power supplies, I hooked up my test track to the lionel pack.
The trains didn't move, but they did light up and the motors did turn.
If I hit the whistle button on the pack the engines crept along.
No smoke or smelling coming from the N scale locos.
I realized afterwards that Lionel is AC and N scale is DC.

Did I nuke my locos?
My new powersupply won't be here until next week, ugh!
 #741791  by RedLantern

As long as the voltage of the lionel pack wasn't significantly higher than the N-scale motors are designed to handle, you should be fine. N-scale typically runs at a maximum of 12 volts, check to see what voltage your Lionel transformer puts out (look up the model number online and find the specs or look in the manual if you have it, it might even say it on the unit itself).
 #741857  by Cadguru

RedLantern wrote:As long as the voltage of the lionel pack wasn't significantly higher than the N-scale motors are designed to handle, you should be fine. N-scale typically runs at a maximum of 12 volts, check to see what voltage your Lionel transformer puts out (look up the model number online and find the specs or look in the manual if you have it, it might even say it on the unit itself).
Yeah I am a bit screwed...its the Lionel 80w which is 18 volts.

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Findex.cfm
 #742400  by scharnhorst

send the unit back to the company that made it tell them it was defective and they should replace it for free. Don't tell them what you did to it or they won't replace it.
 #742427  by Cadguru

scharnhorst wrote:send the unit back to the company that made it tell them it was defective and they should replace it for free. Don't tell them what you did to it or they won't replace it.
they are 9 yrs old and one I got off of ebay....I think I should be ok....it was seconds not minutes
 #742475  by scharnhorst

oh ok did not know that. still I would think that the mfg of them locos might still have some sort of a repair progam for them if there was any damage.
 #742569  by keeper1616

scharnhorst wrote:send the unit back to the company that made it tell them it was defective and they should replace it for free. Don't tell them what you did to it or they won't replace it.
Now that's not very ethical :-D