Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Silverliner II

srock1028 wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Keystones were back to NYP as of Sunday, the 4th.
Lirr42 backed me up on this one. All Keystone trains are cancelled between NYP and PHL, except for train 656. Train 639 runs normal between NYP and PHL.
Okay, thanks. I didn't make it to Kearny with my own train on Monday, so didn't know they had dropped them back again. Thanks.
  by michaelk

for a dummy un-knowledgeable about rosters and the like- help my math with real facts- basically trying to understand how bad things are- is this going to be a nightmare for 5 years or can they make it work?

looking at wikipedia it seems there's something like 235 engines?
~35 of which were ALP45 DP's which really aren't being "relied upon" for service?
~30 are ALP44's which are mothballed?
so basically they "need" 170?

65% of 235 would be 152-
so they're short like 20 ish?

But since the coast line isn't going to need much for a while- maybe that's not so bad?

Obviously long term things can't stay that way- but for now?

seems the cars are the bigger problem?
  by morris&essex4ever

The question is exactly how much equipment is stranded in Long Branch and Bay Head Yards.
  by 25Hz

Patrick Boylan wrote:
pumpers wrote:The NJT site now (under HBLR alerts) now says (dated Nov 6, 8:09 AM) "light rail train shuttle service from Hoboken Terminal to Marin Blvd. stop in Jersey City", so you could ride Hoboken to Newport. But they are running only every 20 minutes, so walking might still be best. JS
25Hz wrote:Could you not take HBLR from hoboken to newport & hop on PATH there?
you seem to have missed pumpers's prior post. 20 minute headway vs google advertised 18 minute walk.
ns3010 wrote:
CComMack wrote: I presume those trains turning at Jersey Ave; if so, are they not actually serving the station or was the omission just a mistake?
Jersey Ave. is not being served.
so where do they turn those New Brunswick trains? And if they turn them at Jersey Ave why don't they also serve the station?
I am not sure if the waterfront walkway is open. If it's not, then the walk is more like 25 minutes going west & under the rail bridge behind target.

As far as turning trains at jersey ave... Many trains actually stop at new brunswick, then scoot on along to morrisville, or they can serve jersey ave and scoot to morrisville. You'd have to ask a JT or someone else familiar to ask about NB trains that yard at jersey ave but don't serve the station.
  by srock1028

morris&essex4ever wrote:The question is exactly how much equipment is stranded in Long Branch and Bay Head Yards.
9 sets trapped in Long Branch, none in Bay Head. All the Bay Head sets were sent to the MMC before the storm.

-NO BS
  by pumpers

srock1028 wrote: All the Bay Head sets were sent to the MMC before the storm.
-NO BS
Actually, this made sense at the time. No one was expecting the storm surge (basically a very high tide) to be as high as it was, I don't think (almost 4 feet above all previous records). That's what did in MMC, as well as all that general electrical infrastructure in Jersey City, Kearny, Bayonne, Manhattan, etc.. At Bay Head, there was also a big concern of big waves washing inland in addition to the surge, which indeed also occurred, since the yard is only 2 blocks from the beach more or less, a problem which you wouldn't have at MMC. JS
  by Jersey_Mike

In the future what would be a better storage plan if the MMC and Hoboken are increasingly prone to flooding? If Yard capacity is insufficient elsewhere one obvious choice would be the center track on the M&E trunk line. It's close to Hoboken and the MMC, yet wouldn't tie up service on the outer tracks. For Newark Division trainsets NJT could use either the Metutchen or Linden freight yards, the latter now generally empty after the GM plant closure.
  by ns3010

This just occurred to me: Was anything stored (and thus trapped) in Summit Yard? IIRC, they put a few sets there during Irene last year.

In other news, the Dinky has returned as of this morning.
  by Jtgshu

Jersey_Mike wrote:In the future what would be a better storage plan if the MMC and Hoboken are increasingly prone to flooding? If Yard capacity is insufficient elsewhere one obvious choice would be the center track on the M&E trunk line. It's close to Hoboken and the MMC, yet wouldn't tie up service on the outer tracks. For Newark Division trainsets NJT could use either the Metutchen or Linden freight yards, the latter now generally empty after the GM plant closure.
NJT stored most Morrisville sets on the Coast Line inbewteen Graw and Wood - that was where they stored the Bay Head trains last year. Remember, there was a LOT of equipment trapped in MV last year for a long time when the NEC was flooded/washed out at Trenton.

County was fine, as far as I know, MV stuff to the Coast Line, Long Branch was fine, BH to the MMC, which seemed like a good idea, so those sets could be used on Hoboken division or Raritan Line if the Coast Line was to have some troubles...which it did. But the MMC had its own, unexpected problems, so that turned into not such a great idea. I think ACL stuff was stored out by Wins, but im not certain. I thought i saw somewhere that RVL stuff was split up, with some staying in Raritan, others going to Hudson Yard. That would explain why the BH trains had to go to the MMC. But im not sure on any of this, I didn't see any personally, just what I was told and saw in the plans before the storm.
  by srock1028

ns3010 wrote:This just occurred to me: Was anything stored (and thus trapped) in Summit Yard? IIRC, they put a few sets there during Irene last year.
I believe the 8EP and 9EP Gladstone starts were stored in Summit Yard. Not sure if they are still there.
  by nomis

Jtgshu wrote:I think ACL stuff was stored out by Wins, but im not certain.
Yup it was ...
  by 25Hz

CC said (was listening to radio) that Amtrak has problems supplying enough power to NEC circuits in NJ at the moment, is this true?

He also said that the White House has been working closely with NJT/njdot to get all the storm issues resolved.

Whatever the case, I hope everyone braces for this nor'easter. It's all ready dumping a mix of rain & snow here outside of Newark and has been since we got on rt1 down by Princeton.
  by Jersey_Mike

Even if Morrisville gets cut off by flooding in Trenton that means that Trenton Service will have to be suspended anyway so you might as leave all Trenton service trainsets in Morrisville.
  by srock1028

25Hz wrote:CC said (was listening to radio) that Amtrak has problems supplying enough power to NEC circuits in NJ at the moment, is this true?
Yes it is and has been true all week. Either me or JT posted something about that already. The substation in Kearney was flooded and damaged. That is one reason why NJT we can't run more trains. One of the two North River Tunnels being OOS is another...
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:CC said (was listening to radio) that Amtrak has problems supplying enough power to NEC circuits in NJ at the moment, is this true?

He also said that the White House has been working closely with NJT/njdot to get all the storm issues resolved.

Whatever the case, I hope everyone braces for this nor'easter. It's all ready dumping a mix of rain & snow here outside of Newark and has been since we got on rt1 down by Princeton.
Kearny substation needs to be fixed. And this nor'easter isn't nearly as bad as the hurricane. Also, IIRC one North River Tunnel is OOS.

Whoops, srock beat me to it. :)