Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by speedbird

vfrex wrote:NJT announced that Main/Bergen line trains will skip Secaucus tomorrow and terminate in Hoboken.
And starting Wednesday they'll be stopping at Harmon Cove (snicker).

Talk about back to 1982.
  by ccutler

Looks like NJ Transit is working very hard at recovering. Maybe they can back some of their double deckers out of Dover yard, to Phillipsburg, then east to the NE Corridor to alleviate the overcrowding...that is while the M&E is out of service.

Just arm-chair quarterbacking...
  by twropr

Did NJ Transit actually annull Woodbridge-NY trains yesterday because of "overcrowding"?

Andy
  by CComMack

No offense to the good people of Woodbridge, but it's good to see trains going to New Brunswick instead. The NEC needs the capacity, and has the slots to play with. I presume those trains turning at Jersey Ave; if so, are they not actually serving the station or was the omission just a mistake?

For this morning's rush into Hoboken, if the ferries and PABT bus shuttle can't handle the Main Line crowds, then walking to Pavonia/Newport to pick up PATH may be the best option. (Google says 18 minute walk; HBLRT is 8 minutes but is presumably oversubscribed.)
  by lirr42

CComMack wrote:For this morning's rush into Hoboken, if the ferries and PABT bus shuttle can't handle the Main Line crowds, then walking to Pavonia/Newport to pick up PATH may be the best option. (Google says 18 minute walk; HBLRT is 8 minutes but is presumably oversubscribed.)
There is also no HBLR between Hoboken and Pavonia/Newport, it is only running between HOB and Tonelle Avenue.
  by lirr42

twropr wrote:Did NJ Transit actually annull Woodbridge-NY trains yesterday because of "overcrowding"?
yes, eastbound trains were diverted to serve New Brunswick, Edison, Metuchen, and Metropark. Eastbound trains were annulled.
  by CComMack

lirr42 wrote:
CComMack wrote:For this morning's rush into Hoboken, if the ferries and PABT bus shuttle can't handle the Main Line crowds, then walking to Pavonia/Newport to pick up PATH may be the best option. (Google says 18 minute walk; HBLRT is 8 minutes but is presumably oversubscribed.)
There is also no HBLR between Hoboken and Pavonia/Newport, it is only running between HOB and Tonelle Avenue.
Thanks for the correction.
  by Patrick Boylan

My first ever ride, Aug 2001, I thought HBLR went to Hoboken, but as you my more knowledgeable North Jersey brethren know, it didn't. I believe temperature was 105 degrees, so that googly walk advertised at 18 minutes felt like it took forever. At Pavonia I remember ducking into a pizza place, asking for water and a slice of pizza. Who knows why, but the counter type person went to get the pizza first, and got mad at me when I asked 'please get the water first'
  by nomis

Just curious, how did the ALP 44's fare out in long term storage ?
  by pumpers

CComMack wrote:
lirr42 wrote:
Thanks for the correction.
The NJT site now (under HBLR alerts) now says (dated Nov 6, 8:09 AM) "light rail train shuttle service from Hoboken Terminal to Marin Blvd. stop in Jersey City", so you could ride Hoboken to Newport. But they are running only every 20 minutes, so walking might still be best. JS
  by pumpers

To get full NEC NJT service going again, I presume we need to get the out-of-service Hudson Tunnel and the OOS East river tunnels (1 or 2 of 4 for the East River OOS?) up again. Anyone know the status/estimates on these? JS
Are there any other major bottlenecks we know of to NEC recovery, like the NY Penn West side yard, Sunnyside, NJT rolling stock, etc?
  by Silverliner II

A few pages ago, somebody asked how bad the damage at the MMC was. I can give you a report on what I saw from my side of the fence as I ran a train through South Kearny on the P&H Line. So, in itemized form:

- assorted debris everywhere; for the most part, the waters outside have subsided or soaked into the ground.

- a pole of some kind driven underneath a train parked west of the shop buildings.

- several intermodal containers of which I think do not belong to NJT on the ground between the fence separating the MMC and Conrail and that first MMC track along the fence where the trailer offices are. One of those containers appears to have pierced the wall of one of those offices, as it is leaning against it at an angle, with a corner through the exterior of the trailer.

- It appears that employees have been moving everything that could be carried outside of the shop buildings to dry.

- The entire complex was still dark except for some minimal lighting inside a couple buildings.

I could have just simply said: It's a complete mess. In any event, it is not looking like a quick or easy cleanup job.
  by 25Hz

Could you not take HBLR from hoboken to newport & hop on PATH there?
  by srock1028

pumpers wrote:To get full NEC NJT service going again, I presume we need to get the out-of-service Hudson Tunnel and the OOS East river tunnels (1 or 2 of 4 for the East River OOS?) up again. Anyone know the status/estimates on these? JS
Are there any other major bottlenecks we know of to NEC recovery, like the NY Penn West side yard, Sunnyside, NJT rolling stock, etc?
One MAJOR bottleneck is the power substation in Kearney being OOS without an estimation of repair. Less catnery power = lest trains able to operate. Even if NJT gets all of rail lines cleared and repaired, not a full "weekday" schedule of trains can operate into New York without that substation being fixed. People need to understand that! Amtrak has cancelled some of their trains and Keystones only running between Philly and Harrisburg.
  by ns3010

ccutler wrote:Looks like NJ Transit is working very hard at recovering. Maybe they can back some of their double deckers out of Dover yard, to Phillipsburg, then east to the NE Corridor to alleviate the overcrowding...that is while the M&E is out of service.

Just arm-chair quarterbacking...
Not possible due to a washout in Netcong.

CComMack wrote: I presume those trains turning at Jersey Ave; if so, are they not actually serving the station or was the omission just a mistake?
Jersey Ave. is not being served.