Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andegold

Not knowing AMT (Montreal) equipment requirements would it make the most sense to try and get some of their MultiLevels if cars are in fact needed? That or recall all of the Comets out on lease or sold. How much other high level equipment is really out there? This is of course if the above quote from BusinessWeek is even still accurate. Didn't Ray LaHood already announce that the VIA deal was unneccessary and off the table?
  by jp1822

NJT has been operating multilevels on most trains but it has still overwhelmed the system. NJT needs more lines to open up, not necessarily cars.

Coming home on Amtrak this evening, still only one Hudson River tube was open. If they can get the other tube open, you'd at least get more Amtrak and NJT service operating.

Major infrastructure devastation. And if NJT can get Hoboken Terminal up, they need to consider using the Waterfront connection, at least to operate more NEC trains. Buses are not going to hold up on moving all the people in and out of NYC. I tend to think today, Monday, some were even looking to "see how it went" before trying out their own commutes back to NYC.

I hope this storm gets some of the capital projects and rail expansion projects in the tri-state area moving forward in the long run.
  by vfrex

NJT announced that Main/Bergen line trains will skip Secaucus tomorrow and terminate in Hoboken.
  by lirr42

vfrex wrote:NJT announced that Main/Bergen line trains will skip Secaucus tomorrow and terminate in Hoboken.
Well that's a bad idea...

PATH is restored beginning tomorrow, but there is no service to Hoboken (it's just JSQ-33RD but no Hoboken, 9th, or Christopher Streets). So what does that leave? NY waterway and 1 bus route (126)?

Do they plan to do any cross honoring? An extra $14 round trip to take the ferry instead of a transfer in Secaucus that you already paid for with your monthly is not going to be appealing to customers...

Couldn't they do some sort of SEC-NYP shuttle instead?
  by blockline4180

vfrex wrote:NJT announced that Main/Bergen line trains will skip Secaucus tomorrow and terminate in Hoboken.
Where in the world did you get that information from???
I just looked on the NJT site and the updates and it does not mention any trains going to or from Hoboken at all!
  by vfrex

Although the transfer to ferry was announced as an option, conductor didn't know if cross honoring would happen. I'm guessing there will be "Emergency bus service" from the terminal, but that sounds like a clusterfuck I'll be avoiding at all costs.

NJT did actually run a SEC to NYP shuttle this morning after NJ Coast service was cancelled and Main/Port Jervis line customers were pooling on the platform. There was obviously no room in NEC trains to take them (us).

And Blockline, I got that information from an announcement made on my train.
  by lirr42

I can verify Mr. vfrex's statement. Twitter user @moni00009 tweeted this photo at @NJTransit earlier:
  by lirr42

Update from NJT's website:
Effective PM Service on Monday, November 5, 2012

The 7800 series trains will continue to run.

Westbound EXTRA TRAINS 8859, 8863 and 8867 will continue to run.

Two additional trains are scheduled to DEPART PENN STATION NEW YORK TO TRENTON as follows:

Train 8857: PSNY - 4:04 p.m.; Secaucus - 4:13 p.m.; Newark - 4:22 p.m.; Metropark - 4:41; Metuchen 4:46; Edison - 4:51, New Brunswick - 4:56; Princeton Junction - 5:10 p.m.; Hamilton - 5:17 p.m.; Trenton - 5:30 p.m.

Train 8871: PSNY - 7:53 p.m.; Secaucus - 8:02 p.m.; Newark - 8:11 p.m.; Metropark - 8:30 p.m.; Metuchen - 8:35 p.m.; Edison-8:40 p.m.; NewBrunswick - 8:45 p.m.; Princeton Junction - 8:59 p.m.; Hamilton - 9:06 p.m.; Trenton - 9:19 p.m.

7600 series trains remain cancelled.

7200 series westbound trains will NOT go to Woodbridge. Instead, they will serve Metropark, Metuchen, Edison and New Brunswick.

7200 series eastbound trains are cancelled.

Train 7281 (departing PSNY 10:07pm) is cancelled (on Monday, November 5 ONLY). Passengers to Train 7881 (departing PSNY at 10:14 p.m.).
  by blockline4180

Okay, now I believe you... I just didn't see it anywhere else...Thanks!
  by lirr42

@NJ_TRANSIT says "this decision has been made to alleviate the unsafe crowding that occurred at Secaucus during this morning's commute"
  by lirr42

Updated map showing tomorrow's service attached:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by M&Eman

I hope ferries are cross-honoring as well given the unusual circumstances. If not, that is very unfair to Main Line commuters.
  by lirr42

If weekend schedules can work with only one tube, and there are no MidTOWN directs tomorrow, no Rahway Rocket's tomorrow, surely there's got to be some space for a NWK-SEC-NYP shuttle of some sort, right?
  by nomis

Is Amtrak runnin a weekend schedule or are they running a typical weekday schedule during he morning and evening rush at this point? There the landlord may not have any more room to run at this time.
  by ThirdRail7

lirr42 wrote:If weekend schedules can work with only one tube, and there are no MidTOWN directs tomorrow, no Rahway Rocket's tomorrow, surely there's got to be some space for a NWK-SEC-NYP shuttle of some sort, right?
Not really. You forget that the east end lacks capacity, so trains are turning in the station, which takes up valuable real estate. There were capacity problems in Penn today when things arrived out of slot.

nomis wrote:Is Amtrak runnin a weekend schedule or are they running a typical weekday schedule during he morning and evening rush at this point? There the landlord may not have any more room to run at this time.
Neither. It is a weird, hybrid schedule! :)