Railroad Forums 

• How many High Levels does Amtrak have left?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#71362  by AmtrakFan

Does anyone know how many High Levels Amtrak have left? I know they have 2 Operating on the Heartland Flyer. I know their is or was 1 in Chicago. Does anyone know how many of the Cars are left on Amtrak's Roster?

#71395  by RMadisonWI

Still 8. As far as I can tell, it's 3 coaches, 5 Parlours. As of a couple of days ago, 7 were available, 1 was out of service (don't know which one).
 #71778  by pismobum

Amtrak has 9 cars, not 8. 5 Pacific Parlors, and they converted 5 coaches - 39940-44-52-53-57, 2 for Heartland Flyer, 2 for Kentucky Cardinal, and 1 spare. 39944 caught fire and was scrapped. A coach occasionally shows up on 1/2 or 3/4. Dunno if Heartland flyer routinely uses 4 of them or not.
 #71794  by AmtrakFan

pismobum wrote:Amtrak has 9 cars, not 8. 5 Pacific Parlors, and they converted 5 coaches - 39940-44-52-53-57, 2 for Heartland Flyer, 2 for Kentucky Cardinal, and 1 spare. 39944 caught fire and was scrapped. A coach occasionally shows up on 1/2 or 3/4. Dunno if Heartland flyer routinely uses 4 of them or not.
One Occaisonally gets on 21/22 the Heartland Flyer uses 2 High Levels plus a Coach Cafe (Panic Box)

AmtrakFan

#71832  by RMadisonWI

Does Amtrak know they have nine cars? All the info I have seen has noted eight cars.
 #71931  by Jim55

Hi all, I saw #39953 at Beech Grove about 4 weeks ago, I looked it up and I think it said "service car" whatever that might be. Jim
 #71994  by pismobum

"Does Amtrak know they have nine cars? All the info I have seen has noted eight cars."

Does "All the info" mean you looked at Dave Warner's roster, or do you have other sources? Dave has been notified 39953 is missing from his roster and it will be resolved. There are still 9 hi-levels with Amtrak.

#71996  by RMadisonWI

Other sources. Can't mention them here, but I'll drop it now, since it's really not worth discussing further.
 #72005  by pismobum

If you can't discuss sources online, how about via email? ([email protected]) I maintain both a high-level and a superliner roster, and am always looking for current sources. I use Dave Warner, El Simon, Gene Poon, John Kuehl, John Mills and a few others to try and keep up. Do you have anybody else who could help?

http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/AmtrakSuperliner

http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/hllounge