Railroad Forums 

• How long will the Mexican Amfleets last?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1635610  by Tadman

If you follow the "Corredor Interoceanico" railway being built in Mexico's Yucatan region, you'll know it is a fascinating mix of secondhand equipment from all over the US and Britain. Right now there are both Amfleets and 43-class HST running around. Someone did an in-depth 3 hour podcast on Youtube about being a consultant down there and the interesting things he saw, such as butcher-modified Amfleets. Evidently they have no idea how to maintain or care for a semi-sophisiticated equipment such as those Budd inboard bearing trucks.

Worth a listen.

Skip to 1:34 for the Amfleet discussion.

#1635637  by John_Perkowski

If you look at the rolling stock NdeM and FCP got from the US secondary market in the 60s and 70s, the answer likely is “less than ten years.”
 #1635657  by Matt Johnson

That was most interesting, thanks for sharing! I would note that upon looking up more info on this project, it appears that the max operational speed will be 50 mph, so hardly high speed despite using "HST" equipment. That being said, the concerns expressed are still quite valid.
 #1635659  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:33 pm Mr. Dunville, I must wonder what the origin of the traditional Budd car behind the A-I might happen to be?
Not sure but I have seen their motors being shipped from the Mobile docks last fall. This is awaiting the trans-Gulf ride on either MV Mayan or MV Cherokee. We moved to Mobile last year and the yards just north of downtown are fascinating and far busier than I thought, but having multiple steel mills and deepwater ports will do that.

#1635682  by Zanperk

I always liked the look of the 1953 Swiss Schinder Waggons....and the Kinki Sharyo cars keep rolling along in the Copper Canyon.

Perhaps a more accurate framing is will the current rail initiatives last past end of term in September?
 #1635726  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Dunville, I must wonder what the origin of the traditional Budd car behind the A-I might happen to be?
Likely dome car Stampede Pass.

Wasn't entirely clear if that's on lease or was sold by Railexco (they owned the de-engined SPDs and Amfleets).

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1635734  by Tadman

Zanperk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:31 am I always liked the look of the 1953 Swiss Schinder Waggons..
They look kind of funny like shorty cars, but they are a hoot to ride in. Windows still open on CP Portugal Douro Valley Line, heck half the time they left the vestibule doors wide open at 50-60mph. I think they were built to a British clearance profile as you can see the EE motor up front, which is basically a British Rail 20-class, is significantly taller, and thats not a big motor at all.

#1635743  by dowlingm

Following a recent incident in Scotland which highlighted the ability of trees to smash in carbon fibre cabs, there may be many more HSTs available for Mexico if they want them…
 #1637281  by Tadman

I love to see the 43/HST finding homes, but with the locals unfamiliar with the MTU or Paxman engines, how long do those last as well???

Also, the boarding method of the British trains is a giant step box. No handrail, just a 3' tall multi-step box. Would love to see what the safety officials in UK or US have to say about that.
 #1637523  by dowlingm

There is at least one other MTU 4000 passenger locomotive platform in North America - Brookville’s BL36PH (Tri Rail). Perhaps one day there will be enough demand for Brookville to roll out a Tier 4 version.
 #1637540  by John_Perkowski

GBN: That Lw Budd car has plating, not fluting. That means it was built relatively late. It might be UP, NP, or GN. NOT ATSF, and I don’t know about east coast roads.