Railroad Forums 

• Hillsboro (Hillsborough) Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1632795  by newpylong

I was told today that Suburban Propane in Milford wants to start getting cars again. I thought this was interesting because they made a business decision to stop getting service to all satellite facilities direct quite a number of years ago. Also I think the Hillsborough Sub is Excepted track right now.
 #1632828  by Ken Rice

Seems like rail ought to be cheaper than truck for a bulk commodity like propane, and it seems like CSX is serious about making service reliable.
What does “Excepted” track mean?
 #1632839  by newpylong

(1) No train shall be operated at speeds in excess of 10 m.p.h.;
(2) No occupied passenger train shall be operated;
(3) No freight train shall be operated that contains more than five cars required to be placarded by the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR Part 172); and
(4) The gage on excepted track shall not be more than 4'10¼ inches.

From CFR Part 213.4
 #1635222  by Diogenes

I've been living in Merrimack about 5 minutes from Nashua for almost four years now, and I hear the trains go by all throughout the day, yet I've never seen them. Once I was near the tracks and heard the train chugging by, so I raced my car down and it was already gone. I was starting to think I was crazy until I found this forum. Is there a schedule the trains follow? Also, is the track that goes by Peddler's Daughter still in use?