Railroad Forums 

• High Level Platforms

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1596200  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
I had read in Amtrak accessibility reports that 24 stations were going to be converted to High Level Platforms. I believe Tampa was recently done as was Middletown, PA. I was just wondering what other stations are going to be converted? I guess Rhinecliff and the new Newport News stations are going to be done too. Thanks in advance to anyone in the know.

Mike Scholz
 #1596217  by mcgrath618

lirrelectrician wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:44 pm Hello all,
I had read in Amtrak accessibility reports that 24 stations were going to be converted to High Level Platforms. I believe Tampa was recently done as was Middletown, PA. I was just wondering what other stations are going to be converted? I guess Rhinecliff and the new Newport News stations are going to be done too. Thanks in advance to anyone in the know.

Mike Scholz
Ardmore and Coatesville here in PA.
 #1596274  by TheOneKEA

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:02 am I don't know if they threw in MARC's West Baltimore station in there, since it's along the NEC and is part of the Fredrick Douglass Tunnel project.
Is Aberdeen busy enough to justify conversion someday? Could it become busier or is there just not enough demand for direct Amtrak services to DC or Philly? It’s the only other station in MD served by Amtrak that I can imagine a high level platform conversion being performed.
 #1596314  by Roadgeek Adam

TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:53 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:02 am I don't know if they threw in MARC's West Baltimore station in there, since it's along the NEC and is part of the Fredrick Douglass Tunnel project.
Is Aberdeen busy enough to justify conversion someday? Could it become busier or is there just not enough demand for direct Amtrak services to DC or Philly? It’s the only other station in MD served by Amtrak that I can imagine a high level platform conversion being performed.
My opinion is that all NEC stations for all systems should be HLP for safety reasons. I realize there's limitations, but it needs to be done. Amtrak, MARC, SEPTA and MBTA need to step it up on HLPing their stations along the NEC. (NJT has Jersey Avenue as well, but that's the only one they need to fix.)
 #1596327  by daybeers

Highly agree. Kingston was an awful event and I bet the FRA will crack down on low-levels as much as possible. Here in CT the conductors now close all doors before telling the engineer they're good to go instead of leaving one open for them to watch the platform, and the policy is to prohibit stopping and opening the door again for a late passenger.
 #1596330  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Daybeers, if you are addressing the Jan 15 fatal incident, such occurred at Westerly, vice Kingston.
 #1596336  by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:53 pm Is Aberdeen busy enough to justify conversion someday? Could it become busier or is there just not enough demand for direct Amtrak services to DC or Philly? It’s the only other station in MD served by Amtrak that I can imagine a high level platform conversion being performed.
It's mostly covered by limited MARC service. I think Amtrak dropped all service to Aberdeen for the time being.
 #1596338  by Roadgeek Adam

As far as I know Amtrak still stops at Aberdeen. I think we'd know if they discontinued it for the time being. Only defuncted station right now is Michigan City.
 #1596339  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:02 pm
TheOneKEA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:53 pm Is Aberdeen busy enough to justify conversion someday? Could it become busier or is there just not enough demand for direct Amtrak services to DC or Philly? It’s the only other station in MD served by Amtrak that I can imagine a high level platform conversion being performed.
It's mostly covered by limited MARC service. I think Amtrak dropped all service to Aberdeen for the time being.
I'd hope not, when I commuted there, half the trips were amtrak honoring marc monthly.
It needs high level platforms, and increased service.
And better shuttle to on post.
 #1596361  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:19 pm I'd hope not, when I commuted there, half the trips were amtrak honoring marc monthly.
I just checked. They have 4-6 trains stop there per direction. MARC has another 4-6 per direction. I don't see any notice of cross-honoring, though.
 #1596367  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:17 am
scratchyX1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:19 pm I'd hope not, when I commuted there, half the trips were amtrak honoring marc monthly.
I just checked. They have 4-6 trains stop there per direction. MARC has another 4-6 per direction. I don't see any notice of cross-honoring, though.
Huh, this was 6 years ago, there was a regional between 4 and 6 that picked up marc passengers, there.
 #1596370  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 am Huh, this was 6 years ago, there was a regional between 4 and 6 that picked up marc passengers, there.
They cross-honored all the way up until March 2020. I think once train traffic is back to pre-pandemic levels they'll start cross-honoring again.
 #1596371  by MACTRAXX

MS and Everyone:

After looking at Amtrak's website and then searching for "Amtrak Accessibility Reports" I found NO list of 24
stations slated to have high level platforms constructed officially - the closest I found was this one -
https://ellana.net/amtrak-accessible-st ... nt-program
This list was made up by an Amtrak contractor regarding station upgrades for ADA requirements.

Instead of speculating about what stations MAY be on a list of 24(?) slated for high-level platforms -
Let's see an exact list along with a general idea when work will commence - and would be completed.
Speculation - and for that matter rumors - mean nothing in this subject...MACTRAXX
 #1596382  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
From what I gathered the following stations are planned or under construction. Windsor Locks, Coatsville, Parkesburg, Downingtown, Rhinecliff, and Charlotte. I have heard that MARC was supposed to do Aberdeen. As for Westerly and Mystic, they can be done but the stations will have to be moved, I dont know if any planning has been done yet. . I also heard Hudson NY is planned but would have to be moved too. I assume Newport News will be high level and I think I remember that Staples Mills road in Richmond is supposed to moved to the other side of the tracks with high levels too. Then there is Chicago. I heard that Amtrak wants to look into using the old mail docks as a high level platform there. That gives me 13 stations out of 24.