Railroad Forums 

• Help Needed Please!

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1628097  by Fruitbat

(121.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My grandparents met in the 1920s when they were both working for the Loie Fuller dance company which toured all over North America and Europe. This is the only photo I have of them from that time, standing with a group of others on what appears to be the caboose or observation platform of a train. There is a plaque in the centre of the railings which says "BG" or similar. I'm hoping that someone might be able to identify the rail company to give me a better idea where the photo was taken. If anyone has any suggestions or is able solve the mystery, I would be very interested to hear, Thank you!
Attachments:
 #1628930  by Allen Hazen

Observation platform on end of passenger "observation" car: not a caboose.
The logo could also be read as "CB" -- I think the round letter his a C and not a G, and the order isn't obvious. Suggesting (to me) the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad (someone else might know if at the time the Q was (sometimes?) omitted), whose lines went west from Chicago to the Missouri River and north to the Twin Cities.
But I'm not really an expert.
Good luck finding out more!
 #1629790  by BR&P

Very cool old photo! :-D

Given the ornate railings I'd say that is a passenger car, not a US freight train caboose. Cabooses were more plain and functional. And the lamp and what little we can see of the coupling apparatus makes me think this is not in the US (although I have been wrong before :wink: )

If you go to "Board Index" and scroll down you'll find "Worldwide Railfan" section. I'd suggest you also post there. I believe the lettering in that end rail will be the answer to the puzzle - I don't recognize it but I'm sure somebody will.
 #1629791  by ConstanceR46

Yeah, definitely seconding that the center buffer is a tell it's probably in Europe. I'm inclined to believe the Baltics or USSR; solely based on the coupling, although it could still be an outlier elsewhere. Is there any list where this dance company toured?