Railroad Forums 

• hartford/waterbury

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1327521  by bwparker1

NaugyRR wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
CVRA7 wrote:Pan Am Southern to be accurate, not Pan Am, owns some of the the track operated in CT (Berlin-New Britain-Plainville-Waterbury plus Plainville-Southington and a few other pieces) and contracts Springfield Terminal to operate the railroad.
Now that the Conn River is in good shape, the EDPL/PLED can get over the road in several hours where it once could take 3 days.
The PL1 (local operation) generally goes to Waterbury once a week. The other days will generally switch the Canal Line customers - Amerigas being the most active customer in CT.
There are two other customers that should be starting to use rail later this year if all goes well. One will receive propane, the other will ship construction & demolition debris to ST via the Naugatuck RR, interchanging at Waterbury.
I'll believe the Naugatuck RR when I see it!

I don't believe it's out of the question for them to begin freight ops in addition to their museum ops. They used to store and interchange those ex-LIRR bilevels that sat in Torrington (I think S&NC has them now) and if I'm not mistaken I do believe I've seen them moving a transformer in a photo series on NERAIL. Personally, I have faith in Naugy freight ops.
My post is in reference to the customer starting to process and ship material, not that the Naugy cannot provide the service. I am sure they would do a fine job.
 #1327529  by NaugyRR

bwparker1 wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
CVRA7 wrote:Pan Am Southern to be accurate, not Pan Am, owns some of the the track operated in CT (Berlin-New Britain-Plainville-Waterbury plus Plainville-Southington and a few other pieces) and contracts Springfield Terminal to operate the railroad.
Now that the Conn River is in good shape, the EDPL/PLED can get over the road in several hours where it once could take 3 days.
The PL1 (local operation) generally goes to Waterbury once a week. The other days will generally switch the Canal Line customers - Amerigas being the most active customer in CT.
There are two other customers that should be starting to use rail later this year if all goes well. One will receive propane, the other will ship construction & demolition debris to ST via the Naugatuck RR, interchanging at Waterbury.

I don't believe it's out of the question for them to begin freight ops in addition to their museum ops. They used to store and interchange those ex-LIRR bilevels that sat in Torrington (I think S&NC has them now) and if I'm not mistaken I do believe I've seen them moving a transformer in a photo series on NERAIL. Personally, I have faith in Naugy freight ops.
My post is in reference to the customer starting to process and ship material, not that the Naugy cannot provide the service. I am sure they would do a fine job.
That's an understandable concern, I apologize for misreading your post. I don't believe there's very many other opportunities along the upper Route 8 corridor if this doesn't happen; are there any other potential customers between Thomaston and Torrington? Maybe Town Fair or Toces could be convinced to get tires by rail, hahaha.
 #1327590  by FLRailFan1

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:

In a region where Housatonic RR still exists, I'm pretty sure Danbury Rail Museum could provide better freight service. And they don't even run their own trains. Naugy's comparatively overqualified for this. :wink:
I wish the Housy would either sell out to CNEZ (A.J.Bellivue would have customers returning and maybe even Housy operating in NY state.) or to someone who cares about it.
 #1327678  by NaugyRR

FLRailFan1 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
NaugyRR wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:

In a region where Housatonic RR still exists, I'm pretty sure Danbury Rail Museum could provide better freight service. And they don't even run their own trains. Naugy's comparatively overqualified for this. :wink:
I wish the Housy would either sell out to CNEZ (A.J.Bellivue would have customers returning and maybe even Housy operating in NY state.) or to someone who cares about it.
I wouldn't put much money on anyone operating freight on the upper Harlem, haha
 #1327685  by whatelyrailfan

The construction debris company is apparently open for business! PLED passed through Holyoke this morning with 6-8 loaded gondolas on the head pin.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1327687  by YamaOfParadise

To go back to the "were they all part of the NH system" question, for at least 50 or 60 years, the NH owned every railroad in CT sans the Central Vermont Railway/New England Central Railroad.

But anyways, it's good to see that PAS is getting some more freight customers. God only knows PAR on its own would probably bungle this up without NS as a chaperone. Good to have a Class I with an interest in the state, however minor; CSX really doesn't and can't make the effort to do anything above status quo.
 #1327713  by bwparker1

whatelyrailfan wrote:The construction debris company is apparently open for business! PLED passed through Holyoke this morning with 6-8 loaded gondolas on the head pin.
Peace,
Jonathan
Doubtful from this location, most likely cars from another Connecticut based C&D Transfer facility.
 #1327734  by whatelyrailfan

bwparker1 wrote:
whatelyrailfan wrote:The construction debris company is apparently open for business! PLED passed through Holyoke this morning with 6-8 loaded gondolas on the head pin.
Peace,
Jonathan
Doubtful from this location, most likely cars from another Connecticut based C&D Transfer facility.
Really???? How coincidental is it that this plant north of Waterbury was supposed to go into operation soon and all of a sudden 6-8 loaded hoppers (all the same with the same markings, which in SIX years I've never seen) just HAPPEN to show up on PLED today? If you know of another facility in Connecticut that isn't already served by another carrier (i.e. P&W or CSO), PLEASE enlighten the rest of us. I've seen loaded scrap cars from places like Albert Brothers many times, and there are differences, such as a mixture of gondolas and high-sided hoppers. I'm convinced my GUESS is correct based on the circumstantial evidence that I've seen on these forums.
PROVE me wrong, I dare you, in fact, I double-dog dare you.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1327817  by amtrak-wnd

Jonathan, those cars looked like the ones that usually go to Albert bros( dark gray with NRLX markings). I think it was just coincidence that there weren't any high sided ones in the mix. Also, C&D debris is normally shipped in high side cars from what I've seen.

Brendan
 #1327914  by bwparker1

whatelyrailfan wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
Peace,
Jonathan
Really???? How coincidental is it that this plant north of Waterbury was supposed to go into operation soon and all of a sudden 6-8 loaded hoppers (all the same with the same markings, which in SIX years I've never seen) just HAPPEN to show up on PLED today? If you know of another facility in Connecticut that isn't already served by another carrier (i.e. P&W or CSO), PLEASE enlighten the rest of us. I've seen loaded scrap cars from places like Albert Brothers many times, and there are differences, such as a mixture of gondolas and high-sided hoppers. I'm convinced my GUESS is correct based on the circumstantial evidence that I've seen on these forums.
Peace,
Jonathan
Because the place is not open yet and I have pretty good knowledge of that. In Connecticut, you have several USA Hauling transfer stations that load out C&D Material or could, (Hartford, Suffield, Portland is out of service and Automated Materials in Berlin, their switch, I think, is still disconnected). CWPM has a rail spur in Berlin for C&D Materials outbound. I don't follow the traffic patterns of railcars and various trains, my point is that is you believe you saw C&D loads, they are from an active C&D facility, not the still being built transfer station in Watertown. Can CSOR interchange with PanAm anywhere along the EDPL route?
 #1327923  by F-line to Dudley via Park

bwparker1 wrote:
whatelyrailfan wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
Peace,
Jonathan
Peace,
Jonathan
Because the place is not open yet and I have pretty good knowledge of that. In Connecticut, you have several USA Hauling transfer stations that load out C&D Material or could, (Hartford, Suffield, Portland is out of service and Automated Materials in Berlin, their switch, I think, is still disconnected). CWPM has a rail spur in Berlin for C&D Materials outbound. I don't follow the traffic patterns of railcars and various trains, my point is that is you believe you saw C&D loads, they are from an active C&D facility, not the still being built transfer station in Watertown. Can CSOR interchange with PanAm anywhere along the EDPL route?
EDPL interchanges with them at Hartford Yard on every trip. And CSOR's bread-and-butter is C&D traffic, so there probably is some interchanging going on there of those loads.
 #1328244  by CannaScrews

bwparker1 wrote:
There is another C&D place on the Shoreline in Milford. CSX handles that & takes the loads to Cedar Hill -I assume. Going north from there to Ohio or Kentucky is probably a good guess.
 #1328247  by bwparker1

CannaScrews wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:
There is another C&D place on the Shoreline in Milford. CSX handles that & takes the loads to Cedar Hill -I assume. Going north from there to Ohio or Kentucky is probably a good guess.
That is the Circle of Life Transfer Station. Anastasio Group.

http://www.anastasiogroup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1328301  by newpylong

BostonUrbEx wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I don't know how often PL-1 operates.
Well, they're on five days a week. Though perhaps they run PLED one of those five days, and EDPL another of them.
Yep - PL-1 continues to handle local duties and EDPL/PLED.

Also, the LPG place west of terryville tunnel is almost ready but their switch is not in yet and Waterbury branch is still excepted track.