Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1229895  by pbass

In 1981,the Metropolitan Region of Conrail was loaned for revenue service which as an engineer I operated,a 4 car set of the Budd/Garrett GTE's.My memory of them is dim.Can anyone provide more info on them:a)car numbers b)how many were built c)when they were retired & scrapped d)was their dual mode operation a success or failure (elaborate either way) e)I have seen photographs of them are any photos available{I took one head end photo in 1981 at NWP that is in my collection at the DRM} f)any thing else I'm omitting someone can recollect on? Asking much,but that is the purpose of the forum.
 #1230159  by pbass

I thank all of you for your responses.I have not been an internet user for as long as you gentlemen are and was not aware there is a GTE site.I do remember that Conrail used the 4 car GE/Budd set and the side doors where the turbines were housed had the Pratt & Whitney logo.The other exterior markings were the 2 tone M & Metropolitan underneath and a red U.S.DOT decal on the blue band on the nose door.
 #1230283  by wintower

I remember them being "held" in Winfield Junction one miserably, hot, sticky, humid evening close to Win Tower (perhaps on mailine #2) years ago . Win was burned down in April of 1977, so this was most likely 1975 or 1976. The noise of the equipment is what caught my attention on that miserably, hot, sticky, humid evening all those years ago.
 #1230554  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Just remember that there were two separate 4 car groups of the GT-E cars:
4001 to 4004 were the Garrett cars and 4005 to 4008 were the General Electric cars...

MACTRAXX