Railroad Forums 

• Grand Canyon Rail

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#236373  by koen

Hope this is the correct forum to post it in?

I am looking for pictures (other then on the website) of their trains , accomodation , etc...

Thank you

Koen

#236577  by metman499

I have got original slides taken on a trip three years ago. Is there anything specific or are you just looking for general pictures? I will be able to scan them sometime next month (the downside of being in a state different from your photo archive).

#236717  by koen

Nothing special , just interested (visiting maybe next year). Have no idea what to expect .

thanks in advance

#236944  by metman499

When I was there it was June. The power on both days consisted of a steamer and two diesels, one ex VIA FPA-4A and a FPA-4B. There were numerous coaches and several Budd stainless steel cars on the hind end. If you are riding in one of the extra-fare cars as I did bring a good telephoto as the train can be pretty long and there are some nice sweeping curves that aid photography out of a dutch door. Portions of their deadline/shop area can also be photographed out of a dutch door. They are very hospitable and had no problem with me photograhing out of the door. I took shots of equipment near the station but it is not an early morning shot (but it was my only chance). I have heard that they have rehabbed some F-40s but I am unsure whether they are using them or the Alcos. If you go in the non-peak tourist season they do not steam. Also when you get to the Canyon they wye the power and you can get some shots of this. The station at the Canyon also deseves a few photos.

#453826  by chuchubob

I was there on April 30, 2007; the train had an F40 and an FPB4.
 #455277  by NebraskaZephyr

Was there in September of 2005, right after Labor Day. Steam was done for the season and our 8-car train was pulled by a single F40PH. Got over the road okay, but it was pretty obvious the F40 was down on her knees on a couple of the grades. Our train had one of the ex-CN generator cars right behind the engine for HEP, so the F40 had all 3,000 HP available for traction.

Good part was the weather that time of year is outstanding: not too hot, not too cold.

Spend the extra $$ for the first-class obs car, especially if you have non-railfan family members along for the ride. Well worth it and you can shoot off the rear platform all you want.

If you do the overnight at the south rim (also recommended), the resort "that is not the El Tovar" (they're all owned by Xenterra, as the railroad is now) has cabins along the south leg and tail of the GCRY wye. I got to shoot the AOE arriving and turning on the wye from my cabin window.

The El Tovar, a former Harvey House hotel, is also a must-see: It's a little pricey to stay there, but a meal in the dining room (reservations required)and/or a cocktail in the lounge will give you a taste of the place (no pun intended) without breaking your budget.

NZ