Railroad Forums 

• Furlough

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1422133  by batonrougerailroader

Is anyone still furloughed, it's going on two years for me, hired out with CN in 2014 finished training and was cut off. Traffic has picked up but they aren't calling people back. Share if you are going through the same turmoil
 #1423186  by COEN77

Have you contacted CN about it? I don't know anything about CN hiring agreements. I know on CSX if a person got furloughed before their probationary period was complete there's a time limit on a recall. Also maintaining current residency, phone numbers, any contact information with the railroad is a requirement.
 #1423286  by batonrougerailroader

Fortunately there is no time limit on furlough, so whenever they may call I can go back probably just have to go to a refresher course for my certification is it's expired
 #1433382  by tslo91

I am also going on 2 years of furlough with CSX. As you stated above the same thing happened to me, as soon as my training was complete and I was able to mark up as a conductor I was furlough along with about 30 other people. There are other places I'm able to hold spots if I wanted to relocate. Have you looked in to possibly moving to another terminal? CSX no longer has a time limit on how long you have to be called back before you are considered terminated if your probationary time isn't up. That's one of the things I was worried about when I was first furlough and brought it up to the union. The union told me that crew management put out an email or some sort of letter stating they weren't going to follow that rule stated in the union contract. I only had 6 months in before furlough and I'm still here waiting almost 2yrs later.