Railroad Forums 

• Fred Frailey Column- "It's Time"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1508105  by JoeBas

Tadman wrote:
JoeBas wrote:None of that has the least bit of relevance to the topic at hand though, which is whether the country can and should prioritize corridors at the expense of the long distance network.
You can keep saying this, and I can keep showing you empirical evidence that you're wrong. How long do you want to go? Your emotions versus my numbers, I'm ready to play.
Really? I'm wrong that this is the topic at hand? *checks thread title* Mkay... :rolleyes:
 #1508111  by Tadman

I don't know what to tell you. What other evidence do you want me to present?

Pretend we are talking about horse and buggy instead of long distance train. A guy named Bob keeps insisting we just need political will to run stagecoaches from Chicago to places like LA, New York, SFO, Seattle.... That they still run horses as transport in a few countries, so why don't we?

Never mind there isn't even a path to run the stagecoach. No stables to hold the horses. We have to import wagons from Uzbekistan. There is no horse feed at way stations. It's not just a question of letting a horse loose to run to LA. It's a question of why rebuild an entire infrastructure when statistically nobody would use it?

Bob is crazy, and I think we can all agree on that. It's not that we don't like horses. I love horses! All kidding aside, and we're kind of having fun here, I'm a great rider. Maverick was a great movie! But no way Bob gets his stagecoach to LA.

Now that's not to say there is no use for horses. There are thousands of horses for tourists, and certain regions still see the use of the horse as a business tool, rounding up cattle and herding them aboard trains. There are millions of dollars to be made on horses, just not pulling a stagecoach to LA.

Now, replace the word "stagecoach" or "horse" with "long distance train".
 #1508114  by rohr turbo

Tadman wrote: you didnt' see anybody in the Obama-Biden administration making moves to replace that power.
Options for 150 LD Chargers.
Tadman wrote:All of that was corridor stuff. None of it was long distance.
Viewliner 2.
 #1508118  by JoeBas

Tadman wrote: Pretend we are talking about horse and buggy instead of long distance train.
Nice strawman. You thoroughly destroyed it! Hay EVERYWHERE!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Where's that rolleyes guy when you need him again? :rolleyes:

We're not talking about horse and buggy. We're talking about viable interstate transportation that routinely sells out despite its neglected, underfunded, marginally-utilitarian state, that with just a little bit of POSITIVE ATTENTION and actual honest-to-God investment instead of ignorance and neglect could become a true part of the overall transportation solution in this country.

You instead, want to raid it to fund your little back-and-forth benefits-the-few-at-the-cost-of-the-many corridors, which would ultimately be better appreciated, funded and understood (or not) by the people they benefit (hey, smaller government, amirite???), in a regional fashion.
Last edited by JoeBas on Wed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1508120  by rohr turbo

Let's see, I'm not allowed to discuss Turboliners or autonomous locomotives on RR.net, yet a moderator can post incendiary and almost certainly untrue remarks about politicians? :(
 #1508130  by eolesen

rohr turbo wrote:
Tadman wrote: you didnt' see anybody in the Obama-Biden administration making moves to replace that power.
Uh, the Chargers weren't ordered under Obama. Richard Anderson and Donald Trump, the guys who allegedly hate trains, did that.
JoeBas wrote:
We're not talking about horse and buggy. We're talking about viable interstate transportation that routinely sells out despite its neglected, underfunded, marginally-utilitarian state, that with just a little bit of POSITIVE ATTENTION and actual honest-to-God investment instead of ignorance and neglect could become a true part of the overall transportation solution in this country.

You instead, want to raid it to fund your little back-and-forth benefits-the-few-at-the-cost-of-the-many corridors, which would ultimately be better appreciated, funded and understood (or not) by the people they benefit (hey, smaller government, amirite???), in a regional fashion.
Uh, find me a long distance route that "routinely" sells out.

The following is from 2017, but I doubt these numbers have gone up or down much:
Code: Select all
Palmetto             48%
Sunset Limited	     49%
Crescent             49%
Cardinal             54%
Texas Eagle          54%
Coast Starlight      56%
Empire Builder       56%
City of New Orleans  59%
California Zephyr    59%
Silver Star          62%
Lake Shore Limited   63%
Southwest Chief      63%
Auto Train           64%
Silver Meteor        65%
Capitol Limited      66%
I'm sure there are days where every seat sells out, but you have to fill seats 365 days a year on a daily route, or 150 days a year on limited frequency routes.

The numbers Amtrak reports doesn't indicate that's happening "regularly" or even close to that.
 #1508134  by rohr turbo

eolesen wrote:
rohr turbo wrote:
Uh, the Chargers weren't ordered under Obama. Richard Anderson and Donald Trump, the guys who allegedly hate trains, did that.
I said OPTIONS, a necessary first step which were indeed secured in March 2014.

http://www.marp.org/?p=5253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1508139  by eolesen

Yeah, no. The 2014 options were negotiated by IDOT and CalTrans for the consortium of states involved in the corridor procurement process. Amtrak did participate in the drafting of the 2012 operating specifications for the RFP, but from all accounts I've seen, they had zero input into the product selection or commercial negotiations with SIemens. It was commonly expected that whatever the Consortium selected would form a basis for Amtrak's own order, but I've seen no reference which says Amtrak was able to exercise options from the 2014 IDOT order independently of the Consortium...

I won't say it's not possible, but it's pretty rare for coat-tail agreements between legal entities that don't share common ownership in the real world.

My take on the fact the Consortium included a long-distance version in their order was perhaps some forward thinking of how to manage in a world without a Federal long-distance network. I can see where states like Illinois and California would choose to partner with other states for interstate services (e.g. CHI-MSP, LAX-SEA). Today, there's no vehicle for that and no incentive to do so as long as the Federal teat exists.

I'll also note that Amtrak's order for 75 has its own options for 100. Why?

Feel free to post something that can indicate otherwise.
 #1508145  by rohr turbo

Tad said no one made any moves to prepare P42 replacements during the Obama years.

Split hairs all you want, but it sure appears Amtrak was involved in technical specs (both corridor&LD), must have negotiated price (LD), and got in the queue. It's not nothing.
 #1508197  by WashingtonPark

eolesen wrote:
rohr turbo wrote:
JoeBas wrote:

Uh, find me a long distance route that "routinely" sells out.

The following is from 2017, but I doubt these numbers have gone up or down much:
Code: Select all
Palmetto             48%
Sunset Limited	     49%
Crescent             49%
Cardinal             54%
Texas Eagle          54%
Coast Starlight      56%
Empire Builder       56%
City of New Orleans  59%
California Zephyr    59%
Silver Star          62%
Lake Shore Limited   63%
Southwest Chief      63%
Auto Train           64%
Silver Meteor        65%
Capitol Limited      66%
I'm sure there are days where every seat sells out, but you have to fill seats 365 days a year on a daily route, or 150 days a year on limited frequency routes.

The numbers Amtrak reports doesn't indicate that's happening "regularly" or even close to that.
A lot of the confusion there is that's it's the bedrooms that routinely sell out. Coach seats are almost always available and roomettes are most of the time.
 #1508199  by mtuandrew

So, the bedroom supply is too low and he coach & Roomette price point is generally too high. Extrapolating, the diner on western LDs probably costs enough to operate that the roomette fare has to be kept higher than it otherwise could be.

We aren’t getting more Superliner bedrooms anytime soon, unless Amtrak can make miracles from the Beech Grove dead line or converts roomettes (or coaches!) into bedrooms. Their price has to stay high for the moment, but by decoupling food from the roomette fare and lowering prices accordingly you might fill those berths. Making the diner prepaid might help too, we’ve discussed adding diner vouchers at the booking stage that can be purchased by anyone from coach.

It’s a larger problem though, and these initiatives still would only return pennies on the dollars.
 #1508203  by Gilbert B Norman

mtuandrew wrote:We aren’t getting more Superliner bedrooms anytime soon, unless Amtrak can make miracles from the Beech Grove dead line or converts roomettes (or coaches!) into bedrooms. .
Wholly agree, Mr. Stephens.

WIth hindsight the V-II Sleepers should have been configured 8BR-4RM. No need for an "H Room" as the requirement is one per train and not per car.